Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleGraduate Admission Operations Assistant - Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (PT 28 hrs/week, Jan - May 2, 2014 - Position is located in Berkeley, CA) - APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 31, 2014.
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $15.26 - $17.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management at California Lutheran University, the Admissions Operations Assistant will provide responsible administrative and operational support to the Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (PLTS) Office of Admissions in Berkeley, CA. The position will primarily oversee general office operations within the Office of Admissions; perform a wide variety of clerical and administrative duties for the department; and arrange and participate in special Admissions functions.
Representative Duties• Performs a variety of responsible administrative and clerical support duties including filing, record-keeping, fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, word processing, filing, faxing, and processing information related to the assignment.
• Coordinates communications between the administrator and personnel, parents, students, educational institutions, vendors, and other constituencies; communicates application and admissions information to other key members on campus; maintains communication with PLTS student body about admissions work; maintains communication with the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) Admissions office regarding PLTS travel and events.
• Prepares a variety of narrative, statistical and graphic representations of information including letters, memoranda, bulletins, graphs, charts, forms, reports, contracts, handbooks, informational pamphlets and other materials.
• Maintains and updates departmental calendars as needed; schedules meetings, conferences, travel, and appointments for personnel as needed; takes minutes according to established procedures.
• Performs routine typing or data entry using a computer.
• Performs receptionist duties; greets office visitors and provides appropriate direction; provides telephone support; screens and directs phone calls; provides basic information or takes messages as needed.
• Responds to complaints, concerns, inquiries, and requests for information from students, parents, staff, and the general public regarding issues, programs, policies, procedures and regulations; resolves issues and complaints with confidentiality, tact, and sensitivity; expedites referrals to appropriate responsible party for resolution with expediency.
• Assists in all areas of the application process to garner completed application files, duties include (but are not limited to): processing applications; corresponding with applicants regarding missing application materials; updating applicant files with supporting materials; ensuring accuracy and integrity of files; and generating reports.
• Manages office supplies, equipment, and storage of office supplies.
• Ensures efficient general operation of office.
• Establishes and maintains a variety of records, logs, and filing systems pertaining to area(s) of responsibility; maintains all applicant files.
• Receives, sorts, and distributes mail.
• Provides follow-up phone calls or emails to students, faculty and staff as needed.
• Tracks status of students from first inquiry to final status.
• Processes letters related to the application process including acknowledgement letters, missing document letters, admit and deny letters.
• Ensures timely and efficient processing of documentation and record keeping for new applicants.
• Provides exemplary customer service to applicants, personnel, general public, and other relevant constituencies.
• Provides tracking and follow-up on names acquired through “joint ELCA travel” to include such duties as (but not limited to): entering data into spreadsheet/colleague; sending email greetings; mailing view book packets; and other duties as assigned.
• Compiles and produces various reports and statistical data.
• Provides support for department events and assists in planning and organizing events as needed.
• Attends and participates in selected admission planning and evaluative events; attends and participates in minimal travel to campus ministries/camps/conferences as assigned.
• Transmits and handles confidential information in a prudent manner.
• Assists in Admissions projects as required.
• Operates standard office equipment including a microcomputer, typewriter, calculator, fax machine, copier, printer, and other related office equipment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Record-keeping, filing, and information organizing techniques.
• Database applications and document imaging.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and other relevant software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Public relations and customer service techniques.
• Basic event planning.
• Multi-line phone systems and telephone techniques and etiquette.
Ability To• Perform general clerical duties such as filing, duplications, and maintaining routine records.
• Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records, and conduct word processing.
• Coordinate, organize, and oversee office activities.
• Maintain databases and files with minimal errors.
• Meet schedules and deadlines.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Learn policies, procedures and regulations and apply to specific situations.
• Answer telephone and greet the public courteously.
• Schedule and coordinate meetings, conferences and appointments.
• Relay messages, and screen and route calls and visitors.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Multi-task and work effectively with frequent interruptions.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Education and ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: Two years of college-level coursework in a related field and two years of responsible administrative, secretarial, clerical, office, or related experience
LICENSURE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends.
Busy office environment; subject to frequent interruptions.
See to file materials and enter data in computer equipment; speak and hear clearly and distinctly to present and receive information in person or on the telephone; manipulate hands and fingers to operate keyboards and other office machines; stand, walk, reach, bend, crouch and stoop to retrieve and file materials in filing cabinets and storage areas.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.