Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitlePrograms Specialist - OPEN TO INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY (closing @5pm on 11/13/12)
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Salary: $16.18 - $17.50
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Study Abroad Director, assist with marketing and publications for the office. Liaison between the Study Abroad Center and academic departments, administrative offices, and students. Work with faculty in the planning and coordination of Travel Seminars. Advise students throughout the study abroad process and application cycle. Help supervise student workers and the student peer mentor program. Assist in the development and maintenance of office procedures and systems. Assist the Director with various aspects of Study Abroad Center operations, including semester program development, and other projects and office duties as needed.
Representative Duties• Assist the director with the development and implementation of marketing plans. E
• Maintain information on the CLU website, including updates for Study Abroad schedules, catalog and Study Abroad program descriptions/policies, electronic inquiry forms and applications, etc. E
• Design and distribute promotional materials including display advertisements, fliers, brochures, etc. E
• Receive and review invoices and budget and submit invoices for director’s signature. E
• Maintain mailing lists and coordinate mailings. E
• Maintain marketing files, contracts, and databases. E
• Manage front line operations to ensure accuracy, effectiveness and efficiency. E
• Coordinate training of front line employees. E
• Respond to student inquiries from prospective students; complete appropriate forms; prepare packets of information and personal response letters; make, receive and respond to various telephone calls; respond to inquiries regarding application status, admission process, and related matters. E
• Attend staff and departmental meetings as assigned. E
• Assist in the creation and implementation of the strategic plan. E
• Operate a computer copier, fax and other office equipment as assigned. E
• Prepare and maintain records and reports related to assigned activities. E
• Serves on various councils, committees and terms, as assigned, to assist with formulating policies and procedures for undergraduate students. E
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfDatabase management and computer systems.
Oral and written communication skills.
Creative design and layout techniques.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Active listening skills.
Study Abroad programs and options available at the University.
University mission, goals, and objectives.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
Rules, regulations, requirements, and restrictions related to Study Abroad Center.
Operation of a computer and other office equipment
Electronic record keeping techniques – Datatel and File Maker Pro.
Ability ToOperate a computer and other office equipment.
Plan, organize and schedule work.
Initiate, self-direct and complete multiple projects.
Effectively handle multiple projects and tasks.
Follow through on details.
Anticipate problems/challenges and be solution-oriented.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Demonstrate flexibility by working evenings or weekends if needed.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Organize and schedule work.
Multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
Be proficient with database systems.
Manage applicant files using Datatel.
Facilitate the application, assuring completion of requirements; follow-up with students whose files are incomplete.
Plan and coordinate short-term travel seminars
Demonstrated commitment to international education.
Education and ExperienceBachelor’s degree, one year experience in study abroad administration, and overseas study experience.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
Application ProcedureEmployment application must be submitted in full, additionally, send resume with cover letter and names and phone numbers of three professional references to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Fax resume to (805) 493-3655 or
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.