Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleCommunications Coordinator
DepartmentOffice of the President
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Range: $39,231 - $50,000
Basic FunctionReporting to the Office of the President of California Lutheran University, and supporting both University Relations and the division of Enrollment Management and Marketing, develop themes and messages that convey the University’s mission; assist in writing material, copywriting and editing for the website, blogs, and other pieces; help implement the University’s social media strategy, generate inbound traffic, advance brand awareness and engage CLU’s various target audiences; coordinate with various divisions and departments to support the University’s mission and ensure consistency in voice.
Representative Duties• Create and distribute a monthly email newsletter from the President for the community and Board of Regents.
• Draft talking points and speeches for the President and manage the scripts for several University events.
• Work with various campus offices to draft and approve Presidential messages, mailings and letters for their written materials.
• Create and distribute a regular Presidential letter to the wider campus community.
• Revise and maintain the Office of the President website, along with other portions of the university website as needed.
• Research and produce an annual President’s State of the University report.
• Produce content for a variety of media, including correspondence, web, and publications.
• Coordinate and control consistent messaging across a variety of written materials, web content and public speaking opportunities.
• Research, gather and produce editorial content.
• Create and maintain social media campaigns and day-to-day activities, including online advocacy, writing editorial and promotional campaigns.
• In cooperation with Marketing, maintain the Office of the President’s social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter and other community sites, to post relevant blogs and seed content into social applications as needed.
• Implement and manage the Office of the President’s social media strategy and presence, coordinating with various departments and individuals to ensure effectiveness and encourage adoption of relevant social media techniques. Become an advocate for the University in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
• Create benchmarks to measure the impact of social media programs, as well as analyze, review and report on productivity of campaigns.
• Provide feedback on insights gained from social media monitoring.
• Explore opportunities to enhance and promote the strategic goals of the university.
• Improve and uphold the quality and integrity of university communications.
• Work with the University Relations, the Creative Media Center, and University Marketing to coordinate communications, track analytics and provide consistent messaging.
• Write and edit copy for CLU magazine and other CLU publication as time allows.
• Assist University Editor as time allows
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfUniversity mission, goals and objective
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Public relations techniques
Experience with MS Word, Adobe Illustrator, and Contribute
Telephone techniques and etiquette.
Operation of office machines including computer equipment.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, Tumblr, Digg, YouTube, Flickr, etc.)
Principles of Search Engine Optimization
Oral and written communication skills
Ability ToWork independently with little direction.
Communicate effectively information and ideas both orally and in writing.
Assemble, organize and prepare reports.
Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
Type at 60 words per minute from clear copy.
Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
Understand and resolve issues, complaints or problems.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
Operate a computer terminal and other office equipment to enter data, maintain records, prepare correspondence and generate reports.
Train and provide work direction to others.
Learn University mission, goals, and objectives.
Organize and manage projects
Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Provide information regarding the University to various target audiences
Education and ExperienceBachelor’s degree in one of the following is preferred: Communications, English, Journalism, and Marketing. Minimum of four years experience in communications, public relations, social media, and marketing. Experience in higher education environment a plus.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Driver's License
Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Some evening and weekend work required.
Some overnight stays while attending conferences.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Pushing, pulling or lifting light objects.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. You can submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360