Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleTemporary Clerical Assistant Pool
Basic FunctionUnder the general supervision of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of office support, clerical, and routine secretarial duties of a general or specialized nature on a temporary basis.
Representative Duties• Perform a variety of duties in support of functions delegated to assigned supervisor.
• Type and edit a wide variety of material such as correspondence, reports, forms, exams, memoranda and other documents as assigned by the position. E
• Coordinate communication between the supervisor and staff, the public or other campus officials; obtain and provide information and assist in resolving questions and issues as appropriate. E
• Greet office visitors and initiate and answer telephone calls; screen and direct calls and visitors to appropriate personnel; take messages as necessary. E
• Respond to requests for information from students, staff and the general public regarding University programs, policies, procedures and regulations. E
• Maintain a variety of records, logs and files including information of a confidential nature; maintain confidentiality of information and records. E
• Schedule meetings, conferences and appointments for assigned supervisor; maintain supervisor’s calendar; arrange travel accommodations as necessary. E
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as typewriter, computer, calculator, copier, fax and other office machines as assigned. E
• Receive, open and route mail; order, issue and maintain department or division supplies, forms and equipment.
• Coordinate communication and activities with other education institutions, vendors, other outside organizations and the public.
• Assist with special projects as assigned.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfModern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Oral and written communication skills.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Telephone techniques and etiquette.
Public relations techniques.
Operation of a computer terminal, data entry techniques and specified software.
Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Database systems.
Ability ToPerform basic clerical and secretarial assistance duties.
Type, keyboard, and/or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance
Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately
Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Perform tasks within clearly defined guidelines.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Prepare reports by gathering and organizing data from a variety of sources.
Work confidentially with discretion.
Complete work with many interruptions.
Operate a variety of office equipment.
Make arrangements for meetings and conferences.
Maintain a variety of files, records and logs.
Prioritize and schedule work.
Education and ExperienceGraduation from high school or evidence of equivalent educational proficiency and one year of responsible clerical experience involving public contact and the use of a computer and office applications OR two years of customer service experience that required the use of computer applications to enter and retrieve information.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.