A referral is usually indicated in the following situations:
- A student presents a problem or requests information which is outside your range of knowledge. Students often present difficult problems, some of which can be complex even for professional counselors;
- You feel that personality differences between you and the student will interfere with your helping the student;
- You feel uncomfortable dealing with the issue or problem because of your personal relationship (he/she is a friend, neighbor, relative, etc.);
- A student is reluctant to discuss a problem with you;
- You do not believe your counseling with the student has been effective;
- You lack sufficient time to listen effectively to the student;
- A student is becoming over-reliant or dependent upon you.