Dr. Stephens teaches a variety of courses focused on the theoretical and practitioner skills of professional school counselors. She supervises counseling candidates in k-12 settings, fostering their skill development as school counseling leaders.
She reguarly participates in regional, state, and national conferences conducting professional development workshops and presentations. She serves as a Board Member for the Ventura County School Counselors Association.
She is a Board Institutional Representative for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, assessing school counseling programs throughout the state. She has over 12 years experiences as a counselor-educator and university supervisor.
Her work in higher education was preceded by over twenty-five years experience in clinical counseling and administration in the non-profit sector, and in private practice. She serves as the Chair of the Diversity and Educational Excellence Working Group in the Center for Equality and Justice at CLU.
She is the Project Coordinator for a grant-funded partnership between CLU and Ventura Unified School District, and works collaboratively with the superintendent, principals, teachers, and school counselors creating systemic change by infusing social emotional curriculum into schools.
- Ph.D. in Human and Organizational Systems from Fielding Graduate University in Santa Barbara, CA
- M.A. Degree in Human Development from Fielding Graduate University
- M.A. Ed. Degree in School Counseling from the University of Redlands
- B.A. Degree in Sociology from California State University Los Angeles
- Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Counseling
- Certification as a Family Life Educator from the National Council on Family Relations
- Cultural Proficiency Practices in Education
- Social/Emotional Learning Curriculum in k-12 schools
- Systemic approaches to school leadership
- School Counseling Supervision
- Adolescent Sexuality
- Family Life Education
- Supervision of School-Counselors and Interns
Stephens, D.L., Arriaga, T.T., & Lindsey, R.B. (2013, March/April). Teaming Up to Close Educational Gaps. Leadership publication by Association of California School Administrators.
Stephens, D.L., & Lindsey, R.B. (2011). Culturally Proficient Collaboration: Use and Misuse of School Counselors. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Stephens, D.L. (2011). Sex and Tweeners. In Wisdom for Parents: Key Ideas from Parent Educators, edited by R.E. Keim, & A.L. Jacobson. Canada: de Sitter Publications.
Uellendahl, G., Stephens, D., Buono, L., & Lewis, R. (2009, September 14). Support Personnel Accountability Report Card (SPARC): A Measure to Support School Counselor Accountability Efforts. Journal of School Counseling, 7(32). Available on-line at http://jsc.montana.edu/articles/v7n32.pdf
Stephens, D.L. (2008) Site Supervision of School Counselors in Training: An Interview Study of Promising Practices. Unpublished Dissertation. Santa Barbara, CA: Fielding Graduate University. Proquest document ID 1631166271