Administrative Position (exempt)
Position TitlePrograms Coordinator, Study Abroad
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $36,093 - $46,920
Basic FunctionReporting to the Director of the Study Abroad Program, the position will be primarily responsible for coordinating faculty-led travel seminars and assisting in the development, implementation and evaluation of Study Abroad programming. The position is also responsible for advising students throughout the application cycle and student re-entry.
Representative Duties• Assists in developing, implementing and evaluating faculty-led travel seminars in collaboration with faculty members, which may include such duties as: coordinating communications with provider programs and tour guides; developing and maintaining program budget; developing and implementing pre-departure programs for outbound students and re-entry activities and events for inbound students. E
• Advises students throughout the study abroad process through individual and/or group meetings; assists students with the selection of study abroad programs/destinations, four-year planning, and application process; refers students to appropriate departments and resources for further assistance. E
• Provides counsel to students abroad and to returnees on re-entry issues and campus activities; assists with re-entry programming and regional returnee conferences; develops campus-wide peer mentor program. E
• Coordinates exchange student applications, arrival arrangements, course registration, and housing. E
• Develops and implements experiential and service learning initiatives associated with study abroad programs. E
• Presents important pre-departure and re-entry information at scheduled events and through individual counseling. E
• Supports and effectively represents education abroad and program offerings across campus through presentations and events; develops, designs, and distributes promotional materials including display advertisements, fliers, brochures, etc. E
• Supervises student workers; provides work direction and guidance to support staff as assigned. E
• Represents the mission of the Study Abroad Center to multiple constituencies in diverse venues. E
• Reviews and updates information on the CLU Study Abroad Center website. E
• Receives and reviews invoices and submits requests for payment. E
• Attends staff and departmental meetings as assigned. E
• Attends professional conferences and conducts some international travel as assigned. E
• Prepares and maintains records, reports and databases related to assigned activities. E
• Coordinates communications with university personnel, faculty, parents, students, educational institutions, vendors, and other constituencies. E
• Serves as a host for international guests and visitors. E
• Serves on various councils, committees, and teams as assigned, to assist with formulating policies and procedures for undergraduate and graduate students.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Best practices and standards related to the field of international education.
• University mission, goals and objectives.
• Rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the Study Abroad Center.
• University-sponsored Study Abroad programs and options.
• Health, safety and risk management issues abroad.
• Effective advising and intercultural communication techniques.
• Basic budgeting principles.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, courtesy and diplomacy.
• Marketing and outreach strategies.
• Database and website management.
• Methods and techniques of student advising.
• Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
• Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
• Principles of service learning and experiential education.
• Event planning and organization concepts.
Ability To• Effectively handle multiple projects and tasks independently with consistent follow-through.
• Work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
• Attend professional conferences and conduct some international travel as assigned.
• Multitask with frequent interruptions.
• Work effectively with diverse student populations.
• Plan and coordinate study abroad programming, especially faculty-led seminars.
• Manage applicant files using electronic database.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others in a team setting.
• Deliver effective presentations to various-sized groups.
• Organizing events for students, faculty, staff, and community that promote university-sponsored study abroad programs.
• Develop promotional materials for Study Abroad programs.
• Operate a computer, copier, fax, passport camera, and other equipment as assigned.
Education and ExperienceMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination equivalent to: bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in the field of study abroad.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to international education.
• Prior experience in a higher education setting working with study abroad.
• Experience traveling/living/working overseas.
• Knowledge of a foreign language is a plus.
Busy office environment with frequent interruptions; some evening and weekend hours required; some travel is required.
Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in conversation with individuals, groups, over the telephone, in meetings, and in training/orientation sessions; sitting for long periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; bending at the waist, kneeling, to crouching to store and retrieve records.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.