Visit the Parents & Families website for resources throughout your student's time at Cal Lutheran.
The transition to college is one of the biggest steps your student will take in their life. However, your student is not the only person making a transition. While they are learning how to live on their own and making their own decisions, you, too are confronted with a new set of circumstances.
Whether your student is living at home or on campus, you will most likely see your role as a family member change. Family Orientation has been created to make this transition as stress-free as possible.
Friday, August 26th 8:00am - 11:00am
Check In (Residential) and Residence Hall Move-In
The time has finally come to check-in and meet your roomates!
Kingsmen Park 11:00am - 1:00pm
Check In (Commuter) and Commuter Lunch
Commuter students are invited to the Student Union for food, fun and more as they learn about different resources available to them as Cal Lutheran Students!
Student Union 1:00pm - 5:30pm
Come to the Info Tent with any questions or for late check-in.
Flagpoles 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Pearson Library, Writing Center, and HelpDesk Open House
Come into the Pearson Library and meet your partners in combatting evil villains intent on destroying your academic success! Learn how the IT superheroes at the HelpDesk can foil menacing technology, network, WIFi, and password demons! Discover how the Writing Center team can champion your written communication skills and empower the superhero writer in you! Meet the Masters of the Library who can develop your top research super-powers and open portals to travel instantly across time and space!
If that’s not enough, come enjoy refreshments, a raffle, and a coffee lounge for your parent(s).
Pearson Library 4:00pm - 5:00pm
Residence Life Family Meeting
At this session you will learn all about what life will be like for your student living on campus. Specifically, this session will cover hall staff, RA programs, and the student code of conduct. We will conclude with an interactive Q & A to answer all of your questions.
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 5:15pm - 6:00pm
Come and get your first welcome to the Cal Lutheran family by the President!
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Cal Lutheran Family Dinner
First year and transfer families are invited to join us for great food and entertainment.
Saturday, August 27th 8:00am - 6:30pm
Come to the Info Tent with any questions or for late check-in.
Flagpoles 8:15am - 9:00am
Family Coffee Social
Join us for some coffee and casual conversation before the first session of the day--Lutheran Higher Education.
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 9:00am - 9:30am
The 'L' in Lutheran Higher Education
Do you have a middle name? We do too. Students and staff share their thoughts on who we are and what makes us distinctive.
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 9:45am - 11:00am
Introduction to Career Services for Families
Come learn all about the Career Services Department and all the great services they offer students and alumni at no charge. Services are also free for life! Meet the staff and get your career questions answered.
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 11:15am - 12:30pm
Community Connection and Lunch
Come and meet different Cal Lutheran offices and vendors that offer useful resources for you. Enjoy Lunch!
Kingsmen Park 12:45pm - 2:00pm
Campus Resources for Families
Come and learn more about the following on-campus resources: Business Office, Health Services, Study Abroad, Campus Safety, Multicultural Programs, Center for Student Success, Student Counseling Services, Registrar, Student Life, and Campus Safety.
Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center 12:45pm - 2:00pm
Campus Resources for Spanish Speaking Families
Come and learn more about the following on-campus resources: Business Office, Health Services, Study Abroad, Campus Safety, Multicultural Programs, Center for Student Success, Student Counseling Services, and Registrar.
Lundring Events Center 2:15pm - 3:00pm
First Year Families Meet Faculty
First-Year Families meet faculty mentors of their student.
Designated Classrooms 2:15pm - 3:00pm
Transfer Families Meet Faculty
Transfer Families meet Cal Lutheran faculty members.
Lundring Events Center 3:15pm - 3:45pm
Disability Support Services for Families
Learn about resources available to you inside and outside the classroom.
Nygreen Hall 3:15pm - 3:45pm
GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon 101 for Families
Informational meeting for veteran students and military families.
Student Union 4:30pm - 6:00pm
President's Reception and Family Send-Off
Meet President Chris Kimball and enjoy some refreshments.
Pepper Grove Park
You will have the opportunity to hear from several different offices around campus. Some of the family sessions include:
Academic and Financial Guidance
- Business Office: Learn the basics of maintaining your student account and how to navigate new policies and payment options.
- Registrar: Hear about how parents can access their students' grades, the 4 to Finish program, and other class and schedule information.
Multicultural and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Multicultural Programs: Learn about the variety of Culture and Justice Clubs on campus, the amazing multicultural video and book library, the cultural programs, and unique leadership opportunities available through this office.
- Study Abroad: A semester abroad is more affordable than you might think. Cal Lutheran offers opportunities to study in over 70 countries. Hear more about this important part of Cal Lutheran's mission to educate leaders for a global society.
Center for Student Success and Campus Safety
- Center for Student Success: CSS serves the Cal Lutheran community and supports students who want to maximize their academic achievement. CSS offers the following academic resources: Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR) Program, Disability Support Services, testing services, tutoring information, Academic Difficulty Notices and Faculty Advisor assignments.
- Campus Safety: Learn the function of Campus Safety, how it serves the CLU community, and some steps students need to take to stay safe and protect their property.
Counseling and Health Services
- Student Counseling Services provides professional, confidential psychological counseling services free of charge to registered Cal Lutheran students and psychological education and consultation to the entire campus community. Students are seen by appointment or, if experiencing a psychological crisis, on a walk-in basis.
- Health Services will address what services are available, which students are eligible to use our office, and the cost of services. Patient confidentiality and some of our policies will also be discussed.