Writers Taking Flight
We are a collaborative space on campus where students develop written communication skills, multiple literacies, diverse understandings of current writing practices, and confidence in their writerly identities. The Writing Center provides support and empowerment for all students, faculty, staff and alumni at Cal Lutheran. Writers can receive assistance with any stage of the writing process: understanding assignments and requirements, brainstorming ideas, creating drafts, and polishing final papers. Our goal is to help writers strive toward growth and success in writing, and use writing as a tool to learn and communicate.
Writing Center Objectives
- Engage ongoing and progressive conversations about teaching and learning writing outside the classroom and in the community.
- Help students to identify and determine higher-order concerns and lower-order concerns; identify global concerns before sentence-level concerns.
- Develop sensitivity of different rhetorical contexts and see writing as culturally and contextually defined.
- Offer assistance and positive/constructive feedback for all writing projects at any stage of development, from brainstorming topics to thoughts on final drafts.
- Promote writing as a scholarly conversation and an expression of personal creativity
- Develop stronger audience awareness
- Aid students in discovering their strengths and weaknesses as writers
- Assist students in developing the initiative to pursue future conversations about writing
- Demonstrate writing to learn; writing to communicate; writing to discover
- Enhance literacies and writing skills essential for individual life and social justice
- Promote multi-literacies and new media in written communication practices
- Make writing-related resources available to the Cal Lutheran community
Events & Workshops
We regularly hold events and workshops on various topics — but all designed to help you become a better writer.
We've put together an extensive collection of online resources for your reference. Find the answers you need quickly!
Our resources are for all students! If you are a graduate student, don't hesitate to make an appointment to meet with us.