CAL ACT Institutes
Active, Collaborative, Transformative teaching and learning.
Our ACT Institutes are a hands-on workshop intended to promote the spread of active learning in science classrooms. CAL ACT faculty participants will receive a $500 stipend for attending an Institute and an additional $250 stipend for follow-up activities (class visitations, brief reports, networking activities).
For more information, see the following web page: CAL.
Upcoming CAL ACT Institutes
October 6-7, 2017
ACT Institute faculty participants will:
- Evaluate and analyze empirical studies that support AL pedagogy
- Evaluate and rank sample recorded classes on a “traditional” to AL scale
- Reflect and rank their own current pedagogy on a “traditional” to AL scale
- Identify ways to apply AL in “lecture” classes
- Convert at least one of their current passive teaching elements to an AL one
Faculty will leave each institute with:
- An understanding of the operational definition of AL
- A solid foundation in the constructivist educational theory underlying AL
- An appreciation for the positive impacts of AL pedagogy in improving student learning outcomes and in reducing achievement gaps between traditional and underrepresented students
- An awareness that AL encompasses many different, complementary, pedagogical approaches
- An ability to create AL course environments that reflect the process of science
- A concrete action plan to implement AL in at least some of their classes
- A network of peers seeking to deepen their own understanding and implementation of AL