Cal Lutheran at a Glance
California Lutheran University is a selective, comprehensive institution offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in the liberal arts and sciences and professional fields. Mentored by dedicated and accomplished faculty members, students pursue their passion and discover their purpose as they seek to grow as individuals. California Lutheran College was founded in 1959 on a ranch donated by Richard Pederson, the son of Norwegian immigrants. The college opened its doors to 330 students in September 1961 and held its first Commencement in May 1964.
The mission of the university is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice.
- Total: 4,174
- Undergraduate: 2,892
- Graduate: 1,282
Cal Lutheran students come from 38 states and 35 countries and represent a diversity of faiths and cultures. The university maintains its residential emphasis with 53 percent of traditional undergraduate students living on campus. Average class size for all programs is 15.
The 225-acre campus is located midway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, just 20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean nestled against the hills in Thousand Oaks. Off-site centers are located in Woodland Hills, Westlake Village, Oxnard and Santa Maria. Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary is located in Berkeley.
Affiliations and Accreditations
Cal Lutheran is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The Graduate School of Education
is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and
the university is authorized by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
to offer credentials. Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary is accredited by the Commission
on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools. Cal Lutheran is a member
of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Association
of Independent California Colleges and Universities, and the Council of Independent
Colleges. Its program in Financial Planning has been registered with the Certified
Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. Cal Lutheran is one of 26 colleges and universities
affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The university’s intercollegiate
athletic programs compete in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference,
NCAA Division III.
More about accreditation
- Full-time: 199
- Part-time: 242
Of the full-time faculty members, 84 percent have earned their doctorate or terminal degree.
Staff and Administrators
- Full-time: 360
- Part-time: 53
- President: Chris Kimball, Ph.D.
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs: Leanne Neilson, Psy.D.
- Vice President for Administration and Finance: Karen Davis, MBA ’95
- Vice President for Mission and Identity: Melissa Maxwell-Doherty '77, M.Div '81
- Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students: Melinda Roper, Ed.D.
- Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing: Matthew Ward, Ph.D.
- Vice President for University Advancement: R. Stephen Wheatly ’77, J.D.
- Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences: Joan Griffin, Ph.D.
- Dean of the School of Management: Gerhard Apfelthaler, Ph.D.
- Dean of the Graduate School of Education: Michael Hillis, Ph.D.
- Dean of the Graduate School of Psychology: Rick Holigrocki, Ph.D.
- Dean of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary: The Rev. Alicia Vargas, Ph.D.
- Chair of the Faculty: Veronica Guerrero, Ed.D.
Cal Lutheran offers undergraduate, graduate and professional programs through the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Management, Graduate School of Education, Graduate School of Psychology and Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary. Thirty-six undergraduate majors and 36 minors are offered in the traditional undergraduate program. The Bachelor’s Degree for Professionals program offers degrees in eight majors. Graduate programs include doctorates in educational leadership, higher education leadership, clinical psychology and theology; and master’s degrees in education, psychology, business economics, information technology, public policy and administration, divinity and theological studies. Catalogs are available online.
Cal Lutheran’s intercollegiate athletic teams compete in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) and the NCAA Division III. Men’s teams compete in baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo. Women’s teams compete in basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo. Junior varsity teams compete in men’s and women’s basketball, men's and women’s soccer, baseball and women's volleyball.
- Chris Kimball, Ph.D., 2008-
- John R. Sladek, Ph.D., 2006-2007
- Luther S. Luedtke, Ph.D., 1992-2006
- Jerry Miller, D.D., 1981-1992
- Mark Mathews, D.B.A., 1972-1980
- Raymond Olson, D.D., 1963-1971
- Orville Dahl, Ed.D., 1959-1962
- 1959 — California Lutheran College founded
- 1961 — First students arrive
- 1964 — First class graduates
- 1972 — First master’s degrees granted
- 1986 — Renamed California Lutheran University
- 1994 — KCLU Radio launched as a community service
- 2006 — First doctoral degrees granted
- 2014 — Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary welcomed
Parking is free throughout campus. Street parking is by permit only Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Visitor parking is available in the parking lots on Mountclef Boulevard north and south of Olsen Road.
California Lutheran University
60 West Olsen Road #1350
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-2700
- Undergraduate Admission Office: 805-493-3135, Fax: 805-493-3645
- Graduate Admission Office: 805-493-3127 or 888-CLU-GRAD
- Undergraduate Admission: admissions@CalLutheran.edu
- Graduate Admission: clugrad@CalLutheran.edu
- Alumni & Parent Relations: alumni@CalLutheran.edu
- Web Communications: web@CalLutheran.edu
View the Cal Lutheran Fact Book