Even though the Stay at Home order has been extended until May 31, 2020 in Thousand Oaks, we still have permission from Ventura County for students to return to campus to retrieve their items. We have designed a staggered move out plan as well as communicated how to stay safe when you do return to campus in order to get your belongings and return to your home, Thank you for your cooperation as we close down the halls for the semester. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to reach out to us!
Residence Life COVID-19 Updates and FAQs:
June 24, 2020
In light of the changing landscape around COVID-19, and the commitment to supporting our students’ needs during this challenging time, we have made the following adjustments to our housing cancellation deadline:
For ALL students:
- Students can choose to cancel their housing assignment with no penalty any time before 5:00 PM on August 21, 2020. If you choose to cancel, you must notify firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm on August 21st. We ask that you notify the Residence Life department promptly upon your decision to cancel your Fall semester housing. This updated cancellation deadline replaces our previously advertised deadline of July 1, 2020.
- All students may continue to apply for housing leading up to the first day of classes. However, please be aware that we cannot guarantee housing to students who submit a housing application after July 1, 2020. Applications received beyond July 1st will be housed if/when space becomes available. If you need access to the housing application, please email email@example.com.
- At this time, we anticipate that we will be able to house students on-campus during the Spring semester. Spring semester housing applications will be released mid-Fall. We will continue to abide by state, local, and federal guidance available at that time as it relates to our ability to safety house students on campus for Spring.
For continuing students:
- Please be aware that if you cancel your Fall housing assignment and wish to come back to the residence halls in the Spring, we cannot guarantee you will be placed in the same building or suite that you were previously assigned to.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 1, 2020
Cal Lutheran announced our Fall 2020 Reopening Guidelines last week. We understand that many of our students are still in the process of deciding how to proceed with Fall semester with this information in mind. As a result, the Residence Life staff have decided to extend our housing cancellation deadline to July 1st, rather than the previous deadline of June 1st.
All students wishing to cancel their Fall 2020 housing assignment must do so by emailing email@example.com by July 1st. Given the unknown evolution of the pandemic combined with frequently updated guidance from state and local authorities, it is possible that further adjustments to this deadline may occur. However, it is our goal to provide as many details as possible regarding fall semester within the next month.
We hope this extension provides each student and their family the necessary time to make some of these complex decisions. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure we can offer the Cal Lutheran experience in a safe and effective way for our community!
May 12, 2020
April 29, 2020 4:15 PM
For students with items remaining in the Residence Halls:
The university has worked hard to identify 3 options (specified below) for students who have items remaining in the residence halls at this time. We hope that one of these options will be condusive to each student and their family. All students who indicated that the left items in their hall were emailed this afternoon with these options. If you have items in your suite and you did NOT receive an email from Residence Life, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All item retrieval will take place between May 16-31, 2020.
- On your assigned date you will have access to your room from 9am-3pm only. You do not need to check in anywhere, only go to your room to get your items and return your key (if you have one) to the box outside of the Residence Life office. If you have already returned your key, we will work with you individually to grant room entry on your move out day.
- In an effort to promote physical distancing, you can only bring one other person inside the room and residence hall. We have staggered the move out so that multiple people from one room are not moving out on the same day, and limited the number of people in each residence hall so that you do not come into contact with others.
- If your items are currently in a room occupied by a Continued Contract housing student (someone living on campus right now), you must let them know the date you will be there so that they are not in the room at the same time.
- You may select someone to retrieve belongings on your behalf, but you will need to coordinate this with Residence Life staff. Please indicate if this is your plan at the link above under the “Additional Information” section.
- Any item left in your room beyond student move out will result in you and/or your roommates being charged an item removal fee. Items will not be automatically donated unless you select that option, left items will be removed and you will be charged.
Option 2: Dorm Room Movers
- We've partnered with Dorm Room Movers to allow their background-checked movers access to rooms in order to pack your items for storage and shipping on your behalf. You do not need to be physically present in order to utilize this service!
- We will work directly with Dorm Room Movers to schedule your service and you'll receive a 3-hour timeslot for your Zoom call once your date is confirmed. Please do not call Dorm Room Movers with questions about scheduling.
- On your day of pickup, they'll send you a private link to live video chat with your movers while they pack and pick up your belongings! You'll also receive a link to the recording of their time in your room once completed in case you can’t make the call. Dorm Room Movers will then ship your items to your home, or will store them for you in a nearby storage facility and will deliver them back to campus when you move in for the Fall semester.
- As Dorm Room Movers is not offering this service everywhere, you will not see packing program-specific details until you make a free account. CLICK HERE to create an account and get started. Once you’re ready to secure your service, simply register for $39.99. Pricing for packing, storage, and shipping is priced per item, so please make sure you fully understand the costs described on their website.
- The cost of working with Dorm Room Movers is NOT covered by Cal Lutheran. Students assume all fiscal responsibility for this service. Additionally, Cal Lutheran cannot be held responsible for damaged or missing items as a result of working with Dorm Room Movers.
Option 3: Item Donation
If you have left items on-campus and you do not wish to return to retrieve them, you may choose to donate them to a local organization instead. Residence Life will work with the Community Service Center and local charities to donate items you no longer want or need. Please know that if you select this option, the staff that go into your room will decide what can be donated and what will need to be put in the trash. There is no cost for this option.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can a roommate or friend retrieve my items on my behalf?
- Yes! However, Res Life Staff needs to be notified of this via your response to this form. Please indicate if someone other than yourself will be gathering items for you in the “Additional Information” box on the last page of the survey.
- Can I leave my belongings in my room until the Fall?
- No, unfortunately students are not permitted to leave items on campus throughout the summer. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work with our community to clear the residence halls over the next few weeks.
- Can I stay the night on campus when I retrieve my items?
- All residence halls are currently closed to students, and overnight stays are not permitted. If you are coming from afar and need a location to stay in during your trip to Cal Lutheran, the Thousand Oaks Hampton Inn & Suites has generously offered to provide a CLU discount of $79/night to students and their families. Please reference the CLU discount when calling to make a reservation.
- What is the average cost for the Dorm Room Movers to pack my belongings and store
them for the summer until I return?
- The average cost is about $700. This includes storing your items and them dropping them back off for you at your room in the fall.
- Can I leave my car on campus?
- Yes, please contact Campus Safety at email@example.com for further instructions.
April 15, 2020 3:00 PM
Because Cal Lutheran has made the decision to continue virtual instruction through the summer, and out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our campus community, the university will not be offering summer housing for students. We look forward to welcoming students back to campus housing for the Fall 2020 semester. Residence Life staff will be in contact with students who have remained on campus for the Continued Contract period because they could not move out during the spring semester and notify them of their options moving forward.
April 7, 2020 3:30 PM
Updated Suite Selection Timeline for Continuing Student Fall 2020 Housing:
April 7-April 15: We will be reopening the housing application window for students who would like to live on-campus for the Fall semester. All students who would like to live on-campus must complete the Continuing Student Housing Application for Fall 2020. If you need access to the application, or know someone who needs the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The application can be found here. The new deadline for housing application submissions is April 15th at 11:59 PM. Any application received after that date will not be eligible to participate in Suite Selection.
April 16-17: You will be emailed your specific Suite Selection date and time, during which you can log in and select your room for next year. Note: Only the Group Leader needs to log in during your selection time to select the room. Directions on how to form your roommate group and select your Group Leader will be emailed by April 10th. If you have tried to form your roommate group and have run into issues, please keep an eye out for this email since it will contain some troubleshooting tips.
April 20-May 1: Suite Selection! Once you receive your Suite Selection date and time, simply log on to the Residence system, view available rooms, and select a room for your group to live in.
May 1: If your desired residence hall is not available during Suite Selection, or you cannot find a room to house your entire group, please contact email@example.com on or after May 1st to add yourself to our waitlist. We know things will change over the course of the summer, and will work off of the waitlist in order to try and accommodate student requests.
Extension to Cancellation Deadlines:
As a result of our adjusted timeline for Suite Selection and housing assignments, we have changed the housing cancellation deadlines for continuing students. Students wishing to cancel housing altogether must either be commuter-eligible, have lived on campus for 6 semesters, be senior standing, or be withdrawing as a student from Cal Lutheran. The new deadlines are as follows:
- If you would like to cancel your housing assignment with no financial penalty, you must notify Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org later than May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
- Cancellations occurring between June 1st-June 30th will result in a $200 loss of deposit.
- Cancellations occurring July 1st or later will result in a full loss of the $400 housing deposit.
March 23, 2020 1:55 PM
STUDENT RESPONSE REQUIRED:
We appreciate your patience with the communication from us and the university over the last few weeks. If you have already filled out this Residential Student Status Survey, thank you.
If you did not fill out this survey following our March 20, 2020 email, please do so as soon as possible. This short survey will help us tremendously in figuring out who is here on campus and what your needs might be. We will be removing card access soon so it is extremely important you communicate with us. All students, even those who have already left campus, must complete this survey.
Thank you for your attentiveness, and please continue to check your email for continued updates from our department.
March 19, 2020 9:08 PM
You may have already heard the recent news announced by Governor Gavin Newsom regarding the "Stay at Home" order throughout the state of California, effective tonight.
In light of this COVID-19-related order, we encourage our remaining residential students to move out as soon as they can. Students who need to return to campus to pick up their belongings are welcome to leave them here until after the order ends. If you urgently need something that you left behind, contact Residence Life at email@example.com. Prorated room and board credits will be applied as previously outlined. Students on meal plans will be able to pick up food from Ullman Commons.
Those who cannot move back home can stay, and we will continue to provide services for you. If this applies to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To update your move-out plans and get directions on the process, fill out the online Check Out Form.
This is an unprecedented situation that is evolving rapidly--something we never could have predicted. We understand many of you are experiencing varying levels of stress and emotion at this time. Residence Life staff are here to help you and support you, so please don't hesitate to reach out if needed.
Thank you for your understanding. We wish you good health and safe travels.
Last updated: April 29, 2020 4:45 PM
When do I need to vacate my residence hall?
All students must vacate their residence hall by 5:00 PM on March 31, 2020.
What do I need to do before leaving the Residence Halls?
- Fill out the online Check Out Form
- Place your room key in the provided key envelope and place it in the drop box outside of the Residence Life Office (if applicable)
- Ensure your room is cleaned and all belongings have been removed from the suite
Will students receive a refund for room, board, and meal plan charges?
Housing: Cal Lutheran is providing a pro-rated credit of 6 weeks out of the 15 week semester for room charges to undergraduate residential students that vacate the residential halls no later than March 31, 2020. Eligible students will be issued a 40% housing credit on their student account.
Graduate residential students that move out no later than March 31, 2020 are also eligible for a prorated housing credit based on the term length of their housing agreement.
Housing Deposits:The housing deposit of $400 will be credited for non-continuing students at a later date once Resident Life staff have inspected the vacated rooms to ensure all personal belongings have been removed and there is no damage to the suite. Such inspections will not begin until late April for those suites that all students have removed all of their personal belongings.
Meal Plans: Undergraduate students withmeal plans will receive a 40% credit for the semester unless they are remaining in campus housing with an active meal plan after March 31st. Combo plans, flex credits and munch money credit information will be communicated once details with Sodexo have been finalized.
Refunds: The Office of Student Accounts will begin posting the housing and meal plan credits to the individual student account balances on April 1, 2020. Any surplus balance on the account will be applied to summer or fall chargesfor continuing students. Returning students with a surplus account balance may request a refund once the credits have been posted to the account by contacting Student Accounts. If the student is not returning to Cal Lutheran in fall 2020 a refund of any surplus balance by direct deposit or check will be processed.
Please allow up to three weeks from the date the student’s account goes into a refund status to receive the fundsdue to revised office schedules to ensure social distancing of our employees. If you have additional questions, please contact Student Accounts at email@example.com.
What if I don’t have a place to go off-campus?
Residence Life is working with students individually who may not have a home outside of CLU, or who cannot travel home due to COVID-19. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you feel this applies to you. We are working to relocate students in this situation to a single residence hall, where they can continue living on campus from April 1-May 15.
What if I have already left campus and cannot return to pack my belongings?
Students who indicated that the left belongings in their rooms were emailed on April 29th with a specific move out date and directions on when and how to remove belongings from campus. All item retrieval will take place between May 16-May 31. If you left things in your room and did NOT receive this email, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible. Please see the April 29th update at the top of this page for additional information on options for move out, including rescheduling options, item donation options, and partnership with the Dorm Room Movers company.
Where can I store my things if I can’t take them home?
Cal Lutheran does not offer storage on-campus. However, we have partnered with Dorm Room Movers to assist students in packing, storing, and/or shipping belongings on their behalf. Please see the April 29th update above for more information on this service.
What other community resources are available for me?
The Thousand Oaks Hampton Inn & Suites has generously offered to work with Cal Lutheran students who may need a place to stay. They are offering clean rooms, breakfast in the morning, on site laundry facilities and easy access to stores and restaurants for meals. The staff has created a special discount code for CLU students. Use code T25 for booking.
What other campus resources are available to me?
The Community Cupboard inside Samuelson Chapel
Although the Chapel is now being kept locked, the cupboard is still accessible to students by calling Campus Safety at 805-493-3208 from 8am-5pm Monday-Friday. After 5pm or on weekends, please call Campus Safety at 805-493-3911 and they will meet you to let you in.
Meal Swipes for Ullman Commons
For students without a meal plan, please apply for meal swipes online at this link:
Fill out the application completely and note the number of meals per week that you think you will need. Students will be notified, by email, once meals have been added to their ID card and given instructions on how to use those meals.
Grocery Store Gift Cards
For students remaining on campus via the Continued Housing Contract, and who may not have access to food sources on campus, a limited number of grocery store gift cards are available. Please contact Chris Paul or the Residence Life Office for more information.
Will Suite Selection still start on March 30th?
Suite Selection will begin on April 20th. Please see the April 7th update above for detailed information on the Suite Selection timeline!
Will Summer Housing continue as planned?
Because Cal Lutheran has made the decision to continue virtual instruction through the summer and out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our campus community, the university will not be offering summer housing for students. We look forward to welcoming students back to campus housing for the Fall 2020 semester. Residence Life staff will be in contact with students who have remained on campus for the Continued Contract period because they could not move out during the spring semester and notify them of their options moving forward.
Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!
For additional information related to Cal Lutheran's COVID-19 response, please click here.
Enhancing personal growth and academic achievement
Residence life works to create a living environment that promotes and enhances student education opportunities. In addition to supporting the safety, comfort and well-being of our resident students, we seek to help each student feel a connection to the Cal Lutheran community and respect for all of its members.
Residency affords tremendous opportunity to get involved and participate in the many activities that take place on campus. Together we can create a community atmosphere which celebrates diversity and fosters individual development.
News & Announcements
- NEW THIS YEAR! Laundry is now included in your housing costs! This means you do not need to use a debit or credit card to wash and dry your clothes. You simply go the the laundry room and start washing!
- Housing applications for the 2020-2021 academic year will be available on January 31, 2020. Applications will be made available to incoming students within 48 hours of making the housing deposit. Continuing student application instructions will be sent via email on January 31, 2020.
- All First Year students will be able to view their housing assignments starting on August 1st by logging into MyCLU.
Apply for Housing
Online application forms for new and returning students.
Your Housing Assignment
Check your housing assignment through MyCLU.
Residence Hall Check-In
Moving in at the start of the semester or returning to the residence hall after a break? RAs will come by to confirm your arrival each semester.