Title IX prohibits sex discrimination in education programs and activities (such as housing, athletics, and employment) at universities that receive federal financial assistance. Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual assault or violence (stalking, domestic violence, rape).
California Lutheran University does not tolerate any degree of sexual misconduct on or off-campus. Sexual misconduct violates the values of our community as well as the University’s mission to educate leaders who are strong in character and in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice as articulated in the University’s mission statement.
Sexual misconduct and assault, including rape, are violations of California Lutheran University’s Standards of Conduct for Students and its sexual harassment policy as well as violations of the California Penal Code. Members of the University community, guests and visitors have the right to be free from sexual violence. All members of the campus community are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that does not infringe upon the rights of others.
When accused students are found to have violated this policy, serious sanctions will be imposed. This policy is intended to define community expectations and to establish a mechanism for determining when those expectations have been violated. The sexual orientation and/or gender identity of individuals engaging in sexual activity is not relevant to allegations under this policy.
While there are a number of laws and regulations that mandate how universities handle allegations of sexual misconduct and assault, it is impossible to set forth every scenario that could be a violation of this policy. Ultimately, the University has the discretion to determine whether or not the policy has been violated and impose appropriate sanctions for infractions.
- Jim McHugh, Title IX Coordinator (for general assistance and official notification to the University): (805) 493-3684, firstname.lastname@example.org , Room 208 Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center
- Christopher Evans, Deputy Title IX Coordinator (Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary Campus) (for general assistance and official notification to the University): (510) 559-2737, email@example.com
- Campus Safety (for immediate emergency response and official notification to the University): (805) 493-3911
- Residence Life and Student Conduct (to file a report, change living accommodations, and official notification to the University): (805) 493-3220
- Vice President of Student Affairs/Dean of Students (for options regarding changing living, working, and academic accommodations and official notification to the University): (805) 493-3553
- Assistant Vice President for Human Resources (if harassment/assault involves a Cal Lutheran employee): (805) 493-3185.
Confidential counseling, support, and advocacy
- Campus Ministries (for confidential emotional and spiritual support): (805) 493-3228
- Student Counseling Services (for confidential counseling and emotional support): (805) 493-3727
- Health Services (for confidential* consultation and assistance): (805) 493-3225
*Health Services may be required to report to local law enforcement (pursuant to CA Penal Code 11160) if you are being treated for a physical injury caused by assaultive or abusive conduct. Health Services is NOT required to report this information to the university.
- Campus Pastoral Support Team (PLTS) (for confidential counseling and emotional support): http://www.plts.edu/directory/pastoral-team.php