Adina Nack, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Book this person as a speaker:
Phone: (805) 493-3438
Social Dimensions of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Exploring Messages about Sexuality and Power in Music Videos
This talk focuses on the use of sexual images in music videos and how those images affect the viewers, particularly young people
Gardasil and other STD Vaccines: Social Implications
This talk focuses on the new vaccine for HPV and other STD vaccines that are currently being marketed and promoted by the medical community.
A tenured professor of sociology, Adina Nack received her Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, Boulder and joined California Lutheran University in 2003, after having been faculty at the University of Maine. At CLU, Nack currently serves as Director of the Public Health Program. In the past, she has served as Chair of the Sociology Department, Director of the University Honors Program, Director of CLU's Center for Equality & Justice, and as the Director of CLU's Gender & Women's Studies Program. As a medical sociologist, her research has focused on reproductive and sexual health. An award-winning teacher, she has also won national research awards, published numerous research articles, and authored a book about one of her studies (Temple University Press). She recently collaborated on a study of maternal morbidities with a Co-PI from CMQCC, Stanford Medical School for NYC's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. A proponent of community-based action research, Nack was a Co-Principal Investigator for Ventura County’s two studies of Latinos/as receiving HIV/AIDS services (funded by the California State Office of AIDS). In addition to her work with VCPH, she has also served as a research consultant for the ELCA Sexuality Studies Taskforce, Western Institute of Hearing, United Women's Leadership Council, and AIDS Desk (Chennai, India). A member of the HIV/AIDS Coalition of Ventura County since 2003, Nack coordinates annual events with the county's World AIDS Day Committee.
Research, Teaching, and Community Service Awards:
- 2021 Service Award – Granted by the College of Arts & Sciences (co-awarded to Dr. Paloma Vargas)
- 2020 Administrative Fellowship – Granted by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
- 2018 Community Hero Award – Granted by Diversity Collective Ventura County
- 2016 Diversity Professor of the Year Award – Granted by California Lutheran University Student Body
- 2009 Writers Workshop for Feminist Scholars – Scholarship granted by Ms. Magazine
- 2009 Best of Ventura County Award for "Best Person to Talk to About Sex" – Granted by the VC Reporter and its readers
- 2009 Diversity Professor of the Year Award – Granted by California Lutheran University Student Body
- 2008 Ventura County Community Member of the Year Award – Granted by Planned Parenthood of Santa Barbara, Ventura and San Luis Obispo Counties
- 2006 Mark Vartanian AIDS Advocacy Award – Granted by Ventura County Rainbow Alliance
- 2004 Professor of the Year Award – Granted by California Lutheran University Student Body
- 2001 Herbert Blumer Award – Granted by the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction
- 1994 Phi Beta Kappa – inducted at the University of California, Irvine