Lisa Loberg, Ed.D.
Senior Lecturer and Director of Study Abroad
Study Abroad Center
Lisa Loberg is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Languages & Cultures and Director of Study Abroad at California Lutheran University, where she has overseen the creation of a Study Abroad Center and the expansion of international programs and partnerships. She has worked on a number of initiatives to promote campus internationalization, including partnering with the Cal Lutheran Alumni Board to establish a $1 million endowment for study abroad scholarships.
She serves on the advisory board for the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) and the academic council for IAU College in Aix-en-Provence, France. She is a founding member of the Lessons From Abroad non-profit organization, which provides resources and programming throughout the United States for study abroad returnees. Dr. Loberg received her Ed.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles and her Master’s in French from Boston College. Her research examines factors of student participation in study abroad and study abroad outcomes.
- Ed.D., University of California, Los Angeles
- M.A., French Language and Culture, Boston College
- B.A., English and French, California Lutheran University
- International Education
- Health and safety abroad, factors of participation, cultural competence and adaptation, study abroad outcomes
- Development of academic programs and sustainable partnerships
- French language learning and acquisition
- Extensive travel to over 40 countries
- Professional organizations: CalAbroad; Diversity Abroad; Forum on Education Abroad; Institute for International Education (IIE) and IIE Generation Study Abroad; NAFSA: Association of International Educators
Hubbard, A., Loberg, L., & Rhodes, G. (2014). Historical and philosophical issues in global learning through study abroad. In Highum, A. (Ed.), Undergraduate Global Education: Issues for students, faculty and student services staff. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Loberg, L, & Rust, V. (2014). Key factors of participation in study abroad: Perspectives of study abroad professionals. In B. Streitweiser (Ed.), Internationalization of Higher Education and Global Mobility. Oxford Studies in Comparative Education Series.
Rhodes, G., Biscarra, A., Loberg, L., & Roller, K. (2012). Study abroad as a collaborative endeavor. About Campus, 16(6), 2-10.
- Grant Funding
$5,000 grant from French Embassy-Benjamin Franklin Generation Study Abroad