Do something more with your break! The Cal Lutheran Alternative Breaks Program is an exciting way to spend a week serving and learning about communities outside of our own. Our trips offer hands-on service, time for reflection and discussion, and cultural exploration. Our goal is to serve in the way that the community needs us, rather than imposing what we think the community needs. Civic Engagement is at the center of our consciousness: we go to learn about our role in our global society and the related social justice issues. We do this through providing lasting and sustainable service projects to the community. Our goal is to both learn from and provide for the community.
Alternative Break applications are NOW OPEN!
Applications deadline EXTENDED to Sunday, October 30th at 11:59 PM
Before you start your application
Please be prepared to enter the following information on the application:
- Basic contact information for yourself
- Two emergency contact information
- Health information including allergies, dietary restrictions, medications, etc. (this information may be released to emergency medical personnel in the event of an injury while on the trip).
- Information needed to purchase your airfare for the Alternative Spring Break
- Short answer prompts
- Student Trip Leader application (optional)
Please note: We will be reviewing Alternative Break and Student Trip Leader applications on a rolling basis until those spots are filled.
2022-2023 Alternative Break Interest Meetings:
- Wednesday, September 28th from 12 pm - 1 pm
- Tuesday, October 4th from 12 pm - 1 pm
- Thursday, October 6th from 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
All info sessions will be located in the Student Union Kingsmen Room.
Missed our info session? Watch below!
Alternative Winter Break
During the last week of winter break, we travel to another part of the US to make a difference, assist those in need, and learn about what makes each community unique. Past trips include: Florida, New Mexico, and Texas!
Alternative Spring Break
Spend spring break in another part of the world! Learn about other cultures, current social and global issues, and provide service to a community that will last beyond our time there. Past trips include: Nicaragua, Cambodia, and Puerto Rico!