Learn, Explore and Connect in 2017
From all of us on the Cal Lutheran Alumni Board of Directors, Happy New Year! The start of a brand new year is always inspiring to me because it’s a time to reflect on the progress we’ve made and contemplate the incredible possibilities ahead.
So many great things happened in 2016, and I wanted to share a few of the highlights as well as some things to look forward to in 2017.
- Growth: Adding to our powerful alumni base, 2016’s May Commencement saw the largest graduating class in Cal Lutheran history (including a 69-year-old graduate)! Our growing ranks made our 2016 Homecoming Weekend especially significant.
- Leadership: As we continue to embrace and celebrate our differences, Cal Lutheran’s diversity and inclusion efforts were recognized as the University was designated a Hispanic Serving Institute, which requires that Latinos make up at least 25% of full-time undergraduate students. Hispanic enrollment at the university is now 29% and growing! Just seven months after earning HSI designation, the US Department of Education awarded Cal Lutheran a $4.63 million STEM Grant to support students who aim to study science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Community: Cal Lutheran also had a great year in the community. With more than 3,300 registered nonprofits in Ventura County, Cal Lutheran’s Center for Nonprofit Leadership is serving these organizations with affordable professional development resources for staff, board members and volunteers. And, of course, we welcomed the Los Angeles Rams to campus in an agreement for the team to train on the north campus for the next two to five years while their permanent training facility is constructed.
As we look forward, 2017 is gearing up to be another invigorating year of progress. If your New Year resolutions include learning more and making greater connections, Cal Lutheran can help! While classes assist students in discovering or deepening their passion and purpose, many activites and events support Cal Lutheran’s engagement between our alumni and the global community.
- Learn more in 2017 with the Harold Stoner Clark Lecture Series through topics around the future of food; from resources, innovation and ethics to urbanization and climate implications (if you can't attend, the series will also be live streamed here).
- Support your professional goals by taking advantage of Cal Lutheran’s Career Services. Update your resume, attend a career workshop and receive support for job searches.
- Explore the benefits of being a Cal Lutheran alumnus! Learn more about what services are available to you
- Connect with fellow alumni at this year’s Homecoming Weekend – save the date for October 13-15, 2017!
Thank you for your continued support, commitment and enthusiasm. The Alumni Board of Directors is directing our time and passion to another record-setting year of Cal Lutheran pride, learning, growth and leadership.
Let’s make 2017 a stellar year!
With Cal Lutheran Pride,
Erin (Rivers ’97) Rulon, MBA ‘06
President, Alumni Board of Directors