Commencement 2021 FAQ
Will the graduates be able to walk across the stage?
This venue allows us to provide our graduates with an in-person celebration that will adhere to whatever COVID protocols are in place at that time. Friends and family can cheer the graduate on from the car the graduates walk across the stage.
Do I need a Cap and Gown?
Yes, if the graduate plans to walk across the stage, they will need a cap and gown.
How do I order my Cap and Gown?
You can order your cap and gown directly through Jostens. www.jostens.com.The deadline to order is April 8, 2021.
How do I know if I am eligible to participate in the 2021 May Commencement ceremony?
- Degree application must be submitted via Student Planningand eligibility determined by 5pm on April 30th.
- Degree applications need to be submitted by March 15thto ensure that your name will appear in the commencement program.
- Participation in the 2021 Commencement ceremony is only available to eligible students who will complete their degree in May or August.
- You can check your progress in Student Planning to ensure you have met you degree requirements.
- The remaining courses of your degree requirements need to be currently enrolled for this term and/or preregistered for upcoming summer term.
- All incomplete and in-progress grades from previous terms need to have an appropriate letter grade. If this applies to you, then you should check with the instructor of the course to submit a grade change.
- If you have taken courses that need to substitute for a required degree course, you should work with your faculty advisor or program specialist and submit the required substitution form.
- The 2021 Commencement list is updated every Monday and can be found at callutheran.edu/commencement.
- After the initial list is posted, it may take an additional week or more to determine/update your eligibility on the website.
- If any part of the degree requirement is outstanding or unfilled, then you may be marked as ineligible and may not be able to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
- If you are currently in the process of completing your degree requirements and are still marked ineligible after two weeks from submitting your degree application, then you should contact your Student Success Counselor in Academic Services.
How long will the ceremony be?
The ceremony will be approximately two to two and a half hours.
Will the ceremony be live streamed?
Yes, it will be live streamed on the main Cal Lutheran website during the ceremony.
Will the graduates stay in the car with their family and friends?
Yes, the graduates will stay in their car until it is time for the procession. During the ceremony, when it is time for graduates to cross the stage, they will be directed by Cal Lutheran staff to exit their vehicle and make their way to the procession line.
Will the graduates names be read?
Yes, as the graduates’ cross the stage, their name will be read.
Will there be a photographer?
Yes, there will be a photographer taking a picture of the graduates.
Can I decorate my car?
Yes, you are welcome to decorate your car. If the decorations are over 6.5ft tall, you will have to move your car to the back row.
Where will the ceremony be held?
The 2020 and 2021 Commencement Ceremonies will be held at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. The address is: 10 West Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Will restrooms be available?
Yes. But the following guidelines must be observed:
- All guests exiting their vehicle MUST wear a Mask or face covering.
- No more than two guests per vehicle can leave to use the restroom at the same time.
- Once out of the vehicle guests must maintain 6 ft. social distancing to the restroom.
- Plenty of porta potties, and hand washing and sanitizer stations will be located throughout the venue to prevent gatherings or clusters.
- All restrooms will be monitored by a housekeeping attendant to ensure surfaces are cleaned after each use.
- Security will be present at all restroom areas to maintain order and social distancing rules.
- Any person who does not follow the rules will be asked to leave.
Can we bring our own food and drink?
Yes, you may bring your own food and drink. All food and beverage will only be allowed to be consumed inside your own vehicle.
What kind of vehicles are permitted?
Vehicles and trucks must fit in a single, standard parking space. Oversize vehicles such as RVs, trailers, limos, and party busses are not permitted. All lifted trucks and high profile vehicles (anything over 6.5 ft tall) MUST park in the BACK ROW.
How will I hear the ceremony?
A state-of-the-art sound system is available and will transmit the performance to each car’s FM radio, so you can control your audio. Four massive LED video screens will provide 360 degrees of view for your best experience.
Do we have to stay inside the car during the whole ceremony?
We ask that all attendees stay inside/by their vehicle. Depending on what is allowed by the County in May, Attendees may be able to bring chairs to sit in by their vehicle but this REQUIRES wearing a face mask and maintaining social distancing. You may view the ceremony from the bed of your truck. You may not be sitting so high as to obstruct the view of others. Hatches may be open but must not exceed roof height. If hatch is spring loaded please tie it down so it doesn't obstruct the view of others. Please use common courtesy so everyone can enjoy the ceremony.
*If a medical condition exists that prevents a guest from wearing a face-covering, then they must remain inside their vehicle at ALL times. No exceptions
What safety precautions are being taken?
All CDC and State of California guidelines will be followed, and we are working closely with Ventura County and the City of Ventura to ensure this event meets or exceeds all recommended standards. To ensure safety, we will leave enough distance between you and surrounding vehicles. We ask that all guests remain in/by their vehicles, practice social distancing, and wear masks whenever outside of their vehicle. In the event it is necessary for a guest to leave their vehicle, guests must use safe and social distancing practices, and wear a face covering. Security will strictly enforce guidelines. Failure to follow safe social distancing, or requests of security or staff members for guests to follow, will cause the guest to be subject to removal. Event staff will be wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) as required by CDC guidelines
Where will I park?
Graduates’ will each receive a code to obtain a ticket to the fairgrounds. When they obtain their ticket, they will choose the location in the fairgrounds where the car will be parked. It will be first come, first serve on choosing a parking location. Please note: if you plan to bring a larger vehicle (see what kind of vehicles are allowed) you will have to be parked in the last row.
When will the gates open?
The gates will open at 8:30am, ninety minutes before the ceremony.
Will I need a ticket for the ceremony?
Yes, a ticket will be required for entry. Each graduate will receive a code to obtain 1 ticket to the fairgrounds. This ticket is for 1 vehicle to enter the fairgrounds.
How do I obtain a ticket to attend?
Graduates’ will receive a code to obtain their ticket throughthe fairgrounds site. After obtaining the ticket, they will be able to choose the ring location where the car will be parked during the ceremony.
What if I would like more tickets to attend?
We are only able to give each graduate 1 ticket for the ceremony.
How many guests can I bring?
The number of passengers must not exceed the number of safety belts /seats in your vehicle.
Radio Stations to Tune Into:
March 15: Deadline to appear in the Commencement Program
April 30: Last Day to Apply for Commencement