Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAuxiliary Services Assistant (CLOSED TO NEW APPLICANTS AS OF 5:00 P.M. TODAY 05/22/12)
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Range: $16.18 - $18.75
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Director of Conferences and Events, perform a broad range of secretarial, administrative and technical assistance functions. Duties include office support, record keeping, quality control, customer service, and special projects.
Representative Duties• Receive and respond to written and telephone requests for scheduling conferences and events for departmental review. E
• Prepare contracts using established policies and pricing for conferences. E
• Maintain the University conference calendar. Serve as “inside sales” person for conference services. E
• Arrange and schedule a variety of meetings and appointments; maintain calendars, make reservations and travel arrangements; establish and maintain regular and special schedules of the work unit; attend meetings on behalf of administrator as assigned. E
• Route incoming mail; answer telephones; relay messages; screen and route calls and visitors; provide information to staff, students and the public regarding programs and functions of assigned office. E
• Establish and maintain a database for the department. E
• Develop and maintain a web page for the department. E
• Format, type and edit a variety of complex material from dictation, rough draft or notes including calendars, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, reports, requisitions and other materials. E
• Compose drafts of routine correspondence. E
• Prepare various forms for the director’s signature, e.g.: requests for payment, requisitions, etc. E
• Maintain a variety of logs, files and records, including files; control the release of sensitive information to authorized personnel. E
• Coordinate specific activities and events of assigned office and arrange for auxiliary services. E
• Operate a variety of office equipment, such as computers and related software, printers, calculators and copy machines. E
• Order and maintain inventory of equipment, materials and supplies; assist in budget development process; review documents, records, lists, tables and other materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance with applicable rules and regulations. E
• Assist in the development and preparation of reports, meeting materials and other documents as requested.
• Keep current on policies related to campus services and the university.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfOperations, procedures, specific rules and precedents of the office.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Telephone techniques and etiquette.
Operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software.
Principles of training and providing work direction.
Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
Public relations techniques.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Ability ToPerform secretarial and administrative support duties to relieve the Director and department management team of routine detail.
Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
Type at 60 words per minute from clear copy.
Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
Organize, coordinate and oversee office activities.
Understand and resolve issues, complaints or problems.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and generate reports, including database management.
Learn to establish and maintain a web page for the department.
Train and provide work direction to others.
Learn University mission, goals, and objectives.
Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Work independently with little direction.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Education and ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to: college-level course work in secretarial science or related field and two years increasingly responsible secretarial experience.
LICNESES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid California driver’s license.
Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Application ProcedureEmployment application must be submitted in full, additionally, send resume with cover letter and names and phone numbers of three professional references to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Fax resume to (805) 493-3655 or
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.