Bachelor of Science
In today’s data-driven world, data science and AI are revolutionizing industries. This major will give you highly in-demand data science skills.
Through hands-on projects, you’ll master dataset creation, find insights, and learn effective communication to tackle challenges in healthcare, finance, and beyond. Emphasizing ethical data use to ensure privacy and combat bias, you’ll graduate ready for a range of data science roles.
As a new major starting Fall 2024*, this program is designed to help you thrive in our dynamic, data-centric world through a mix of theory and hands-on training that will prepare you for a successful career in data science or further academic endeavors.
In today’s data-driven digital age, our program will equip you with the essential skills you need to meet the increasing demand for data expertise across many industries.
You’ll gain comprehensive skills in data analysis — ranging from data collection and management to deriving actionable insights using cutting-edge analytics and visualization techniques. Our coursework, embedded with real-world applications, empowers you to proficiently navigate and analyze extensive, complex datasets across a variety of industries such as healthcare, finance, and beyond.
The curriculum stays current with emerging methodologies and contemporary data challenges. Through class projects, you won’t just learn to identify patterns — you’ll also hone your ability to communicate results in ways that drive informed and strategic decisions.
Get hands-on experience
You’ll gain practical knowledge and skills through course projects using real-world datasets from various industries. These experiences will lead to a capstone project where you will independently tackle a substantive data analytics challenge, demonstrating your ability to apply what you’ve learned to address practical business and societal challenges.
At the heart of our program is a strong commitment to ethical data practices. We prepare you to be not just an analyst, but a principled steward of data, emphasizing the importance of privacy and responsible data use.
Be prepared for graduate studies
For students considering advanced academic pursuits, our curriculum paves the way for specialized graduate programs in fields like computational analytics, AI, and data mining. Under the guidance of our faculty, we champion independent research and intellectual curiosity. This prepares you to grapple with complex challenges and pioneer groundbreaking data science research.
To save time and money on your master’s degree, choose our 4+1 Option to get a head start on earning an MS in Information Technology or an MS in Quantitative Economics. This pathway allows you to delve deeper and specialize in fields like analytics, cybersecurity, economics, and more, providing a streamlined and cost-effective route to advanced expertise and career readiness.
What makes our data science program unique?
Data science and analysis is a rapidly growing field, and there are many academic programs being created in this area. Here’s why Cal Lutheran’s data science major stands out:
- Early exposure to data science — dive into data science from day one with our introductory courses, designed for first-year students and requiring no prerequisites.
- Balance and synthesis — experience a holistic blend of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Engage with discrete mathematics and machine learning, bridging the gap between abstract concepts and practical computer models.
- Flexibility — by choosing electives and an optional minor, you can tailor your degree to your interests and goals.
- Ethical groundings — an emphasis on ethics connects to Cal Lutheran’s mission to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment.
* This is a new major beginning in Fall 2024, pending WSCUC approval.
Offered as a major (BS) and a minor.
Want to add even more value to your degree? Consider one of these minors to gain a unique combination of skills and perspectives.
- Computer Science
- Public Health
- Applied Scientific Computing
- Business Administration
The rise of data science, machine learning, and AI has given birth to an array of rewarding and sought-after career paths. Data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, and AI specialists are in high demand across industries.
- Business and Finance
- Financial Analyst
- Risk Analyst
- Investment Analyst
- Marketing and Sales
- Marketing Analyst
- Customer Insights Analyst
- Sales Forecasting Analyst
- Operations and Logistics
- Operations Analyst
- Supply Chain Analyst
- Inventory Analyst
- Technology and Development
- Data Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- AI Engineer
- Research and Academia
- Research Scientist
- Academic Researcher in Data Science
- Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- Clinical Data Analyst
- E-commerce and Retail
- E-commerce Data Analyst
- Retail Analytics Manager
- Government and Public Policy
- Policy Analyst
- Government Data Scientist
- Product Development
- Data Product Manager
- Analytics Product Manager
- Product Analyst
- Consulting and Strategy
- Data Science Consultant
- Strategic Data Analyst
- Entertainment and Media
- Media Analyst
- Recommendation Systems Engineer
- Sports and Gaming
- Sports Analyst
- Gaming Data Scientist
- Environment and Sustainability
- Environmental Data Analyst
- Sustainability Analyst
of Cal Lutheran graduates find a job or enroll in graduate school within nine months