The William E. Hamm Outstanding Service Award recognizes volunteers who have contributed exceptional service to the development of the university and the betterment of Thousand Oaks and the Conejo Valley community.
Established in 1986, the award is named in honor of Bill Hamm, former Vice President for Admissions and University Relations at California Lutheran University.
Retired Chief of Police, City of Thousand Oaks
The 2019 Hamm Award went to someone who has served the university by participating in events that raise funds for student scholarships, including the annual Mathews Leadership Forum, Hats & High Tea and Golf Tournament.
He has helped to keep the campus safe by providing public safety trainings in the community. He is one of the creators of the Safe Passages program that partners with the Conejo Park & Recreation District and Cal Lutheran faculty and students to work with at-risk youth and eliminate gang-related crime.
Last year this community experienced two incomprehensible tragedies within 24 hours. Hagel worked nonstop and countless hours leading us through the aftermath of the Borderline Shooting and the Hill and Woolsey fires. He provided comfort to grieving families, organized public safety responses to numerous emergency situations, sat with and cried with every family member who lost a loved one and attended every funeral. To this day, he maintains close relationships with those families.
He led his department through city evacuations, highway closures and public safety tasks during the fires while consoling families and grieving over the loss of a fellow deputy. The community is indebted to him for his leadership, compassion and passion for public service.
Andy Fox '98 and Dennis Gillette '75
Andy Fox is a Cal Lutheran alumnus who over the years has partnered with the university and supported its growth. He has served as:
- A Thousand Oaks City Councilmember from 1994-present, with 6 terms as Mayor of the City of Thousand Oaks
- A Commissioner on the Thousand Oaks Planning Commission 1990-92
- President of the Chief Officers’ Association, Los Angeles City Fire Department
- President of United Firefighters of Los Angeles City
- Representative to Southern California Association of Governments 1996-2000
- And he has served in different capacities with many civic groups and organizations, some of which include, the Boy Scouts of America, Conejo Valley Youth Employment and youth sports.
Dennis Gillette is also a Cal Lutheran alumnus who has served in several community leadership roles as:
- Police Chief and Assistant Sheriff for the City of Thousand Oaks and Ventura County from 1963-1987
- A member of the Conejo Recreation & Park District board of directors for 12 years
- A member of the Thousand Oaks City Council with three terms as mayor between 1998 and 2010
- And, as Vice President of Administration and Finance at Cal Lutheran
- During his years as a resident of Thousand Oaks, he was affiliated with many associations and communities, including the Economic Development Collaborative of California, United Way, American Heart Association, Conejo Future Foundation, Recreation and Park Associations at the state and national levels.
- 2019 - Tim Hagel
- 2018 - Andy Fox and Dennis Gillette (View Press Release)
- 2017 - John Short III
- 2016 - Bernie Bauer (View Press Release)
- 2015 - Barry Fisher
- 2014 - Jake Ganajian
- 2012 - Sue Bauer
- 2011 - Ernie Sandlin (View VC Star article)
- 2006 - Debbie Hang
- 2005 - Michael Arndt, Vicki Arndt
- 2004 - Carol Keochekian
- 2003 - June Glasmeier
- 2002 - Ed Holt
- 2001 - Carl Herman
- 2000 - Elaine Marchessault
- 1999 - Dixie Vollmer
- 1998 - Frederick Bowman
- 1997 - Walt Schaedle
- 1996 - Jerry Knotts, Mary Knotts
- 1995 - Norman N. Lueck
- 1994 - Roy Ballard, Lucy Ballard
- 1993 - Gordon Randolph
- 1992 - John Crossan, Marie Crossan
- 1990 - Tommie Cochrane
- 1989 - Marjorie Coddington
- 1988 - Warde H. Dixon
- 1987 - Bill Bennett, Marty Bennett
- 1986 - Jim Gilmore
- 1985 - Marilyn Holt