Terms and Conditions

Awards are subject to the following general policies:

  1. The Financial Aid Award Letter has been based on the documented financial information you submitted. It is your responsibility to inform the Financial Aid Office if your reported information changes in any way during the academic year.
  2. The Financial Aid Office reserves the right on behalf of the University to review and cancel an award at any time because of changes in the student's financial or academic program or status, or because of the recipient's failure to observe the general requirements as stated in the University Catalog.  Awards will not be increased for classes added after the published census date for the term.  
  3. Recipients of financial assistance from the University are to notify the Financial Aid Office of any other scholarships, grants or loans extended to them from sources outside the University.
  4. Student Housing policies are explained in full in the Catalog. Students must have permission to move off campus. If a student does so without permission, the student may be charged full room and board for that semester. Students who are given permission to move off campus may have their financial assistance adjusted.  Note that recipients of the Cal Lutheran Housing Grant MUST reside in CLU residential  housing facilities to receive the award funds  Failure to maintain official residence in on-campus housing will result in cancellation of the Cal Lutheran Housing Grant. 
  5. It is the policy of the University to disburse one-half of the financial aid award to the student account (excluding Federal Work-Study and estimated aid) at the beginning of each semester. Awards are disbursed on the date charges are added to your account as long as all documentation is complete. After that date, awards are disbursed to student accounts on a regular, usually weekly, basis.
  6. Students receiving institutional financial assistance (i.e. University Grants, CLU Scholarships, etc.) are required to be full-time students (12 credits or more per semester). Students who are less than full-time are eligible for reduced Federal and State Grants (i.e. Pell Grant, Cal Grant, etc.) and are not automatically eligible for University aid.  Students in their final semester, attending less than full-time, may receive prorated instituional aid upon written request and authorization of their graduation plan from the Academic Services Office. 
  7. Any commitment of State or Federal funds is tentative and contingent upon subsequent legislative or congressional appropriation and actual receipt of funds by CLU.
  8. All students receiving financial aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress towards their degree. For more information, please visit the full SAP policy text.
  9. Institutional financial assistance (i.e. University Grants, CLU Scholarships, etc.) is not available to undergraduate students who have attempted 186 units or more and/or who have completed (passed) less than 67% of total attempted courses.
  10. Students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University are required to notify the Financial Aid Office. A "Return of Title IV Funds" calculation must be processed for students who withdraw from all classes and have received federal student aid.  Students may not keep aid they have not 'earned' from leaving school early.  See the University Catalog for additional information on refunds and return of financial assistance.
  11. Financial assistance for summer terms is limited and generally consists of student loan eligibility if the loan maximums have not been received during the regular academic year.  Pell Grant eligible students may  recieve Pell Grants in certain situations. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss eligibility for aid in the summer term. 
  12. Students who receive Cal Grant B Access awards will have these awards applied directly to tuition and fees. Students may request, in writing, to the Business Office if they would like this award given directly to them. In this case, a check will be available for pick up in the Business Office. If this request is made after funds have been applied to the student account, the request will apply only to future term amounts. This request must be made each academic year. Cal Grant B Access awards may not be distributed to a third party.