Types of Financial Aid

Don't let the cost of an education keep you from realizing your academic goals. If cost is a concern for you, our Office of Financial Aid is here to assist you.

  1. First Thing's First - File Your FAFSA

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the federal financial aid application that must be completed by anyone seeking federal or state financial assistance from an educational institution in the U.S. Our school code is 001133. This form must be submitted each academic year.

  2. Grants and Other Assistance

    The Fast Track Grant

    Cal Lutheran offers up to $5,000 per academic year (up to $1250 per term) to qualified students in the Bachelor's Degree for Professionals program. You must be enrolled in 6 units or more per term, have a FAFSA on file, and have completed a Professionals Financial Aid application (which is made available to admitted students).

    Veterans Benefits

    Cal Lutheran is a Yellow Ribbon University. Students who may be eligible for veteran's benefits should contact their local Veteran's Affairs Office or contact Cal Lutheran's Office of Veteran Resources for specific information.

    Employer Tuition Assistance Programs

    Many companies offer tuition assistance to employees who participate in work-related or degree-oriented college programs. We provide a deferred payment option (up to six weeks after the end of the term) for students who take advantage of their company's tuition reimbursement opportunities.

    Local Government Scholarship

    Cal Lutheran has partnered with local governments to offer their employees a $100 per credit reduction on any of our graduate and professional programs (future terms only). Learn more about the Local Government Scholarship.

    Cal Grants

    A Cal Grant may be available to eligible California residents who are recent California high school graduates, based on family income, assets and GPA. A minimum of three units per term are required. A FAFSA form and a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form must be filed by March 2.

    Federal Pell Grant Program

    Under the Federal Pell Grant program, eligibility will be determined based on the information submitted on the FAFSA. This grant is awarded to students with high financial need.

    Alumni Scholarship

    Students who are the child or grandchild of a graduate of a Cal Lutheran degree program are eligible to receive a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 during their first academic year of enrollment at Cal Lutheran.

    Congregational Partners in Education (CPE) Award

    This renewable award allows congregations of any faith to assist outstanding young people who have demonstrated a commitment to the life and work of their church. Cal Lutheran will match gifts from the congregation in support of a student in $100 increments to a maximum of $2,500. In order to qualify for the match, the check must come from the congregation and be made out to the University (it should not be written directly to the student attending Cal Lutheran). Learn more about the CPE Award.

  3. Federal and Private Loans

    Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

    Eligibility for the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is determined by the FAFSA and is based on need. The government pays the interest while the student is in school. A student may be eligible to borrow up to the annual maximum of $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores and $5,500 for juniors and seniors. Students must be enrolled at least half time (three or more units) to receive a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan.

    Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

    Eligibility for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is determined by the FAFSA and is not need based. If you are considered an independent student based on your FAFSA application, the annual award is $6,000 per year for freshmen and sophomores, and $7,000 for juniors and seniors. Interest accrues on this loan while the student is in school. Students must be enrolled at least half time (three units or more per term) to receive a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Eligibility will be determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

    Alternative/Private Loans

    Students should always utilize any awarded Federal Direct Loans prior to seeking an Alternative Loan. Interest rates on alternative loans are often much higher than the Federal Direct Loan rates. Eligibility is determined by the lender. Alternative/Private Educational Loans may only be taken out for up to the cost of attendance (less any financial aid received) as defined by the Office of Financial Aid.