Harry Starn, Jr. is a professor in California Lutheran University's MBA in Financial Planning Program and serves as the Associate Director of its California Institute of Finance. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree from the United States Military Academy at West Point and a Master of Science Degree in Finance from the University of Colorado in Boulder. He holds professional credentials as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
Harry has over 20 years of experience in the financial-services industry. Besides teaching financial planning at the graduate level, he manages his own fee-only financial planning practice, Action Financial Planning, LLC. Prior to starting his own practice in 1996, Harry worked as a registered representative with Financial Network Investment Corporation and later served as the Manager of Special Directors' Services with Lipper Analytical Services, Inc., a consulting department to the mutual fund industry.
Harry is a member of the Financial Planning Association (FPA), Financial Planning Association of Ventura County, the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) and the CFA Institute.
Areas of Expertise
- Stock, bond, and security analysis
- Mutual fund and exchange traded fund analysis
- Portfolio asset allocations and investment policy statements
- Trading psychology, fundamental analysis, and technical analysis
- Investment planning
- Retirement planning
- Comprehensive financial plans
- Income properties
- Real Estate valuations
- Real Estate financing
- Operational analysis
- Transition of ownership
- Balanced scorecards
Education and Training
- Individual self-improvement
- Corporate training programs
- Equity trading for the active investor
- Professor for graduate- and under-graduate investment and financial courses for California Lutheran University and Regis University
- Wealth manager and equity trader with Boulder Capital Management, LLC.
- Consultant to the mutual fund industry with Lipper Analytical Inc.
- Financial planner for high-net-worth individual with Financial Networks Investment Corporation
- Real estate investment broker with Prudential Real Estate and Century 21
- Co-owner/operator of 700-person, food-marketing corporation
- Captain in the US. Army Signal Corp.
Full Time Faculty