Your Questions

Read questions and answers about Cal Lutheran that were submitted by other students.

What should I major in if I want to go to medical school after I graduate?
You have a number of options to choose from in regards to majors when pursuing medical school. The most common majors we have found students choose at Cal Lutheran are Biology, Exercise Science, and Biochemistry. As a first-year student we encourage you to talk to your faculty advisor for guidance.

When visiting campus, is it possible to spend the night on campus? If it is possible, how would I arrange to do so?
We do offer occasional overnight events. The Overnight Experience programs allow prospective first-year and transfer students who have applied to Cal Lutheran the opportunity to say in our residence halls. Check out our events.

Is the Early Action Application binding?
No, Early Action is non-binding.

Can I transfer into the spring semester?
Yes, we do accept applications for spring terms. View our dates and deadlines page to find out when to apply.

Can the person who is writing my letter of recommendation post/send the letter electronically?
Yes, we accept electronic copies of letters of recommendation as long as it is clear who is sending it and which student the letter is for. Please contact your admission counselor for more details.

What qualifies one as a transfer student?
A transfer student is anyone who has graduated from high school or earned an equivalent certificate and has completed any college coursework from an accreditted college or university. Students applying with a minimum of 30 transferable units will not be required to submit high school transcripts and SAT and/or ACT scores as part of the application process. View transfer admission requirements.

How do I add an award to my application?
It's best to send that information directly to your admission counselor. Once your application has been submitted, you are unable to add new information. Find your counselor here.

What if you change your major after signing the 4-to-finish contract?
Students must declare a major by the end of the third semester after enrolling at Cal Lutheran. Science and Liberal Studies majors need to declare a major in the first semester. If a student chooses to change majors after the third semester, the student must ensure the requirements of the new major will still be completed in four years. The guarantee will only cover completion of a single major in a single degree. Learn more about 4-to-Finish.

How many students actually graduate in 4 years?
Cal Lutheran's four year graduation rate is 68%, which is higher than the CSU and national average.

What we find is that delays in graduation are usually an active decision on the part of the student, and not caused by the lack of availability of classes. Students will decide to change their major, or add a minor, or study abroad, and sometimes those decisions can impact whether they finish in four years. 

What is the retention rate from First-Year to Sophomore?
The retention rate from the first to second year was 83% in 2021, which is our most current statistic.

Do you have to declare your major before entering Cal Lutheran?
No. Students do not need to declare their major until their 3rd semester at Cal Lutheran. Learn about being an undecided major.

Is Thousand Oaks safe?
According to FBI statistics, Thousand Oaks is rated one of the safest cities of its size in America. Learn about our location in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Does my scholarship change if my grades get better after I apply?
Students may appeal to have their application re-evaluated by sending updated transcripts, test scores and a letter to their admission counselor.

How do you calculate my GPA for admission?
We separate students' academic courses from their extra-curricular courses and weigh IB, AP, and Honors classes.

Should I only send my best test scores?
No. It is best to send us all scores from each test you have taken. We will put your best section scored together to calculate your best overall score.

Is the ACT or SAT better?
The SAT or ACT are weighted the same. Neither is better than the other.

What is the latest date that a student can take the SAT or ACT?
At the latest, students should take the ACT/SAT at least a month and a half before the application deadline. If the SAT/ACT again after applying, they may send us the new scores and have their application re-evaluated.

What is the different between early action and regular applications?
Students must apply by the Early Action deadline in order to be considered for the Presidential Scholarship. By applying by the early action deadline, students will be given their admission decision by January 15th rather than March 15th for regular decision applicants. The longer students wait to apply, the harder it will be to get in and the less amount of money we will have to award in academic scholarships.

Which deadline should I apply by?
Since Early Action (EA) admission to Cal Lutheran is non-binding, and you can confirm your decision to attend up to the May 1 National Reply Date, it's the best option. Applying EA will allow you to receive your decision earlier and ensure you are eligible for the highest scholarships available. See dates and deadlines for first-year, transfer, or international admission.

Do you use academic GPA or total GPA?
We calculate our own academic GPA from students' transcripts and weigh AP, IB, and Honors classes.

Can I still get the application fee waived if I already submit my application using the Common App but have not paid?
Yes, if they have a valid reason, by contacting their admission counselor.

Does Cal Lutheran participate in ROTC programs?
Students who qualify may enroll in the Air Force ROTC program. Cal Lutheran has an agreement with the University of California, Los Angeles for Air Force ROTC. Academic units earned in the ROTC programs are counted as elective credits toward graduation at Cal Lutheran. For further information on ROTC and possible scholarships, contact the Registrar at (805) 493-3105.

Does your school look at the student’s first year of high school?
Yes, students' grades from their first year in high school are calculated in their academic GPA.

Are Honors or AP classes weighted?
Both Honors and AP classes are weighted.