Visual and Performing Arts Scholarship (VAPA)
he Visual and Performing Arts have a prestigious home at Cal Lutheran. Whether staging a play in our Blackbox Theatre, touring the world with our CLU Choir, or pushing the boundaries of conventional art, our students pursue artistic expression without limits.
Incoming freshman and transfer applicants with superior talent in the areas of Music, Theatre Arts, or Visual Art can apply and audition for a VAPA Scholarship prior to enrolling at Cal Lutheran. Music and Theatre Arts Scholarships can be awarded up to full tuition and are renewable for subsequent years.
To apply for the VAPA Scholarship you must complete the application form and audition.
|January 15, 2021||Deadline for First Year Student Applicants|
|February 15, 2021||Deadline for Transfer Student Applicants|
The VAPA Application for Fall 2021 is now open and must be submitted by January 15th. You must submit your application for admission to the university before you are able to apply for a VAPA scholarship. Please use the login information from your personalized student status page that was emailed to you afer you applied to access the application. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at email@example.com if you have any questions.
All students applying for Music and Theatre Art and Dance scholarships must submit a video audition and complete and virtal interview to be eligible. Students applying for Multimedia or Fine Art must submit a portfolio to be eligible. Before submitting a VAPA application and submitting video auditions/portfolio items, students must apply for admission.
All video submisisons or portfoloio submission and virtual interviews must be completed by February 20, 2020.
VAPA Virtual Interview Day
- Saturday, February 13, 2021
- Saturday, February 20, 2021
Theatre Arts & Dance
- Saturday, February 20, 2021
Music scholarships are offered to students who exhibit great promise as musicians and composers. Scholarship recipients are expected to show leadership in music department ensembles, productions, and maintain a record of academic excellence.
VAPA scholarships are awarded individually, and requirements for maintaining the scholarship will vary among recipients. All requirements will be outlined in the scholarship offer letter.
- VAPA scholarships in music are available to all Cal Lutheran students regardless of major.
- Perform in at least one major ensemble related to your audition area. Instrumental recipients must participate in the Mariachi Ensemble, the String Symphony or the Wind Ensemble. Vocal recipients must participate in a choral ensemble.
- Enroll in private lessons at Cal Lutheran each semester.
- Regularly attend the Music Department's Performance Forum each month.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Although students are encouraged to apply in one audition area only, the music department may allow an audition in two areas (ex. voice and viola, or flute and piano) if the student is planning to participate in multiple ensembles related to their audition areas. Please contact the music department (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- VAPA scholarships are awarded individually, and requirements for maintaining the scholarship will vary among recipients. All requirements will be outlined in the scholarship offer letter.
- All students receiving a VAPA award in music production are required to major, or double-major in music production.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Submit 3 examples of original music. For each example, write a paragraph describing your creative process, how the music was produced, and include any information about software or audio hardware tools. Students will be required to upload the materials to their application portal.
Audio files may be submitted as a link to SoundCloud or other music sharing website, uploaded as a YouTube video, or uploaded directly to their application portal.
All materials must be received by February 20, 2021 to be considered for a music scholarship.
Auditionees should have considerable theatrical experience either in performance or in design/technical theatre. Past auditionees often played lead roles, were student directors, stage managers, designed productions or had significant technical experience.
For the scholarships to be renewed annually, awardees must:
- Students receiving $30,000 or more in a VAPA scholarship must be a Theatre Arts major.
- Attend mandatory department meetings and work days throughout the year
- Audition each semester, if a performer
- Serve on a running crew each semester or enroll in a 1 credit theatre lab each semester.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress by maintaining at least a 2.0 GPA
Auditions & Virtual Interviews
Auditions and Interviews are not required for the Visual Art Scholarship. Students applying for a Fine Art Scholarship must submit the following by February 20, 2021 to their application portal.
- A 10-Slide portfolio (JPEG format)
- Portfolio should be added to portfolio (instructions will be sent after VAPA application is submitted).
- All students receiving a VAPA award from the Art Department are required to major or minor in Art.
Multimedia students create works over a wide variety of mediums: print, interactive web design, digital cinema, photography, motion graphics, animation and game design.
Please submit 5-10 examples of your best work in any of these areas by February 20, 2021 to your application portal:
- For print work, logo design, posters or brochures please submit PDF files or link to your portfolio site.
- For web, UX, UI work please submit a link to websites or interfaces that you have designed.
- For photography work please submit JPEG files or link to your portfolio site.
- For digital cinema, motion graphics or animation work please upload these files to YouTube or Vimeo to your application portal or you may also upload the work directly to your aplication portal.
- For game design prototypes please contact vapa@CalLutheran.edu for instructions on how to submit them.
- All students receiving a VAPA award in Multimedia are required to major or minor in Multimedia.
Applicants will be able to submit their work via their VAPA Portfolio (information provided after VAPA Application is received).
- Students may audition for scholarships within the Multimedia, Music, Theatre Arts,
and Visual Art categories; however, if offered multiple VAPA scholarships, the student
can only accept an award from one department and must decline all other offers.
- The VAPA Scholarship replaces (if higher) any academic scholarship, Presidential Scholarship,
or Public Price Promise Scholarship the student was awarded.
- Students cannot receive an Academic Scholarship (or Presidential Scholarship), the
Public Price Promise Scholarship, and the VAPA Scholarship at the same time.
- If a student is awarded an Academic Scholarship (or Presidential Scholarship), or
Public Price Promise Scholarship prior to being determined eligible for the VAPA Scholarship, they will
be given the option to choose one of the three scholarships they would like to use
while attending Cal Lutheran.
- The student must retain the scholarship they choose at that time (Academic/Presidential/Public Price Promise or VAPA Scholarship) and may not change their award decision after they begin attending
- Students must meet annual eligibility requirements to maintain the VAPA scholarship.
For more information about the VAPA Scholarship, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission.