COVID Booster Information (and Flu Shot Reminder)
The following is a message from Cal Lutheran Health Services
Cal Lutheran Students, Staff and Faculty,
The following is provided to share information on COVID-19 vaccine booster shots and associated regulatory agency guidance which reflects research showing that booster shots restore effectiveness.
CDC and California Department of Public Health Guidance
On November 19, 2021, CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, M.D., M.P.H., endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) expanded recommendations for booster shots to include all adults ages 18 years and older who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine at least six months after their second dose.
California Department of Public Health further clarified the policy. Overall, based on that guidance, Cal Lutheran staff, faculty, and students should consider booster shots if:
- It's been at least 6 months since getting a second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer
- It's been at least 2 months since getting a first dose of J&J
- (For international students), it's been at least 6 months since getting all doses of a WHO approved vaccine. (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#people-vaccinated-outside-us)
Cal Lutheran recommends that individuals, and particularly immunocompromised individuals, talk to their health care provider regarding questions about receiving a booster or additional shot.
Finally, please also note that that CDC also recommends that individuals receive a flu shot to protect themselves from a “dual threat” of COVID and influenza, and that it may be convenient to receive both shots simultaneously.
Please contact me with any questions regarding this message. I will forward questions to the appropriate university department.
Ryan Van Ommeren
Director, Emergency Operations Center
Associate VP, Operations and Planning
- Summer Term 2022, COVID Protocol Updates
Thu May 19, 2022
The following protocols will be in effect on May 23, 2022.
- Changes to Cal Lutheran COVID Protocol Effective March 12
Thu March 10, 2022
Based on numerous changes to federal, state, local, and Cal-OSHA COVID guidance, Cal Lutheran is updating institutional COVID protocol.
- Cal Lutheran to Retain Existing Mask Policy
Sat February 12, 2022
Cal Lutheran will continue to operate within CDC parameters, and will not make any changes to existing mask protocol.
- State Testing Site at Cal Lutheran Thousand Oaks Campus Opens January 24
Fri January 21, 2022
Individuals now have access to testing on the Thousand Oaks Campus and via free home testing.
- Access to Undergraduate Spring Classes
Tue January 18, 2022
Learn how to log in to your virtual classes for the start of the Spring semester.
- Winter and Spring 2022 Operations – Virtual Classes Week of January 17
Wed January 12, 2022
Classes across all academic programs at the University will meet virtually from January 17 to January 23.
- Submitting Booster Information & New Isolation/Quarantine Protocol
Thu January 6, 2022
Effective January 18, 2022, all students must show evidence of having received a booster (medical exemptions will be reviewed).
- Spring 2022 Classes and COVID Status
Fri December 31, 2021
After careful consideration please know that classes will resume as follows.
- COVID Booster Information (and Flu Shot Reminder)
Mon November 22, 2021
COVID-19 vaccine booster shots and associated regulatory agency guidance.
- Respiratory Viruses and Symptoms
Thu September 30, 2021
Cal Lutheran’s policy regarding individuals with COVID symptoms, which often mimic the symptoms of other respiratory viruses.