Domestic students can purchase a health insurance policy through United Healthcare Student Resource.
For international students, a health insurance policy is provided to fulfill legal requirements.
You need to:
- Be familiar with the limits of the policy.
- Print your insurance card. Keep it with you at all times.
If you are sick or injured while Health Services is open, you must come to us first. Otherwise, the insurance will not pay for your medical services.
Know your United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) coverage!
You are responsible for knowing what is and isn't covered by your insurance.
Your coverage at a glance
- This plan will provide some coverage for injuries and sicknesses
- In most cases, you need a referral from Health Services for medical care off campus
- Charges from Health Services are not paid for by the insurance
- Travel assistance is included
Scholastic Emergency Services will provide increased coverage for students studying abroad or at a U.S. location greater than 100 miles from their permanent residence or campus location.
This coverage includes several additional benefits, including medically supervised repatriation to the U.S.
Find out coverage information
Call (800) 767-0700 — or follow these directions:
- Visit their website www.uhcsr.com
- Type in California Lutheran University
- Click on the link for California Lutheran University
- Scroll down for links to providers, insurance brochure, and enrollment forms
Insurance won't pay for services if:
- You did not come to Health Services for medical care when it was open
- You received care for services listed under “Exclusions and Limitations” in your insurance brochure
- You reached the maximum amount the insurance will pay
- You were not eligible to receive the insurance
- You went to a doctor or facility that was not part of the approved network
This is not a complete list of all possible reasons, but these are definitely the most common issues.
When Health Services is closed
If Health Services is closed, you can seek medical care off-campus and the insurance should pay for covered medical services if you seek care at a provider or facility that is in the United Healthcare network.
You will have to pay your portion of the medical bills. Bring your insurance card with you.
If you are referred to a specialist by either the Emergency Room or Urgent Care, you must come to Health Services before you see the specialist to get an insurance referral. Otherwise, your insurance will not pay for the specialist’s services.
The only exception is when Health Services is closed. Then, you will not need an insurance referral for the specialist’s services.