Frequently Asked Questions

What If I fail to make financial arrangements before the start of the term or semester?

If financial arrangements are not made before the first day of classes, a hold will be placed on your account and interest will be assessed.

What is the California Lutheran University Electronic(Master) Promissory Note?

The California Lutheran University Electronic (Master) Promissory Note is a document that is required of all students attending the California Lutheran University. It is a promise to pay all assessed tuition and fees as a result of registration. You can access form online through WebAdvisor.

What services does the Student Accounts office provide?

We keep an accounting record of each student's charges and payment history. We provide students with financial clearance for classes, room and board. We counsel students on payment options in relation to their student account. The cashing of personal checks is also available.

How can I obtain information regarding my student balance?

There are two ways to get information regarding your student account balance:

  • On-line through WebAdvisor
  • By contacting the Office of Student Accounts in person, by phone or e-mail.

Please have your student ID number ready in order to get accounts information.

What happens if I am not able to pay?

Please contact the Student Accounts Office to let us know what your situation is and we will try to work with you. This will not waive finance charges and registration/diploma requests will be placed on hold until your account is up to date. Accounts with  past due balances after the term ends may be turned over to our internal pre-collection consoler.

What happens if I add, drop or withdraw a class?

Most students should be able to add or drop a class online through the end of the add/drop period. If you need assistance contact the registration office. The add/drop deadlines dates  are posted on the Registrar's website under Academic Calendars.

If you withdraw completely from a class or semester after the add/drop deadline a percentage or all the unpaid charge balance is still due. The due amount will be based on the date you withdrew from the class or university.

What is an Authorized user and how do I set one up?

An authorized user is someone who can make payments or set up a payment plan on your behalf.

  • Log into WebAdvisor
  • Under Student Accounts
  • Click on CLUpay
  • Click on Next
  • Under the Authorize User PINS
  • Click on Add new user
  • Complete the form and submit
  • Authorized User will receive an email with login and password information
How will I be billed?

All registered students can view a live online pre-bill in WebAdvisor for their upcoming semester or term as soon as they enrolled in courses. Charges are assessed on the account in the first or second week after the add/drop date. Those students who have not paid their balance in full will receive monthly electronic bills sent via email. Monthly paper bills/statements are not provided.

When is payment due?

Traditional undergraduates only have a financial clearance deadline prior to the start of term. Gaining financial clearance requires payment in full (or enrolling in an automatic payment plan) and submitting an online payment contract each semester. The fall semester deadline is due during the first week of August. The spring semester financial clearance deadline is the first week of January.

All other programs require payment in full by the first day of class.

What is included in the traditional undergraduate pre-bill packet?

You will receive a welcome letter, information on the required payment contract and how to gain financial clearance, and information on the automatic payment plans.

Do you have a payment plan?

Yes. The option of a monthly payment plan is available for most programs. Payment Options

Do you accept credit cards?

Cal Lutheran does not accept credit cards for tuition, room, board and student fees assessed on a student's account. The Business Office does accept credit cards for a small number of charges students may incur; such as, parking fines, transcript costs, etc. Payment Options

Do you assess interest?

Yes. Any student owing a balance at the end of our monthly billing cycle will be assessed an interest charge of 0.83% of the unpaid balance on the first of each month. Policies

Do I have a billing statement?

Yes. Electronic statements are available online for all students through CLUpay in WebAdvisor. Once a student is admitted to the university, they are automatically enrolled to receive electronic statements. Students with outstanding balances will receive a monthly email reminder of their balance due. Login to WebAdvisor

When will my Stafford Loan be credited to my account?

All loan refunds are processed within 14 days for the tuition assessment/financial aid disbursement date for each term. Paper checks are mailed to students or picked up in the Business Office. For faster receipt of funds, students are encouraged to enroll in the eRefund program available in CLUpay.

Do I list Federal Work-Study on the calculation of charges worksheet?

No. Work study is not credited until the student endorses their paycheck and has it applied to their account balance.

Do I list my housing deposit on the calculation of charges worksheet?

No. This deposit is retained until the student graduates or withdraws from Cal Lutheran.

I have Financial Aid. Why do I have a balance on my account?

Financial Aid may not fully cover your charges.

Does Cal Lutheran provide health insurance?

Health insurance is provided to enrolled international students. 

What causes a Business Office Account Hold?

You may have one or more of the following; back due balance, return mail, missed CLU electronic promissory note, payment contract, returned check or your account may be in collection.

What is a Business Office Account hold?

A Business Office Account Hold is an administrative measure used to prevent you from accessing your academic records (such as grades, degree information) and processing registration until the hold is cleared by the Student accounts Office.

How do I change my address?

Contact the Registrar's Office to change the local and permanent addresses, as well as all other personal information changes.