Probation & STAR Program

What is the STAR Program?

The Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR) Program provides extra support to students on academic probation or students in need of support and accountability to raise their GPA.

Academic definitions


Your cumulative or Cal Lutheran GPA fell below a 2.0. Once on probation, students must attain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher in the first semester after being placed on probation. If this is not accomplished, the student will be placed on academic suspension.


You may not take classes at Cal Lutheran and it lasts one full academic year. The following students are placed on suspension:

  1. Students who fail to achieve a semester GPA of at least a 2.0 in the first semester after being placed on academic probation
  2. Students who fail to raise the cumulative or Cal Lutheran GPA to at least a 2.0 by the end of the second semester after being place on academic probation.
  3. Students who have returned to probation and who fail to achieve a minimum 2.0 cumulative Cal Lutheran GPA in the first semester after returning to probation.

Students in Group #3 are then disqualified from attending Cal Lutheran if they fail to raise their GPA to a 2.0 in the first semester upon returning to Cal Lutheran.


You did not achieve the 2.0 in your probation semester, overall, and Cal Lutheran cumulative GPAs in the one semester you were given upon returning from suspension. You are no longer able to return to Cal Lutheran and it can not be petitioned. You will need to attend another institution if you desire to complete your baccalaureate degree.

How to get off of academic probation

You must meet with your Student Support Services Academic Counselor by calling our office to make an appointment by the first week of school. Elements of the contract include:

  • Signed contract by the add/drop deadline
  • Bring your GPA's (term, cumulative and institutional) to at least 2.0
  • Complete mandatory weekly study hours
  • Meet with your Academic Counselor bi-montly
  • Have no more than 12 semester credits
  • Attend monthly workshops semester put on by Student Support Services

How to be removed from suspension

To get off suspension you will need to attend another institution for one full academic year. During that year, in either the Fall or Spring semester you must complete 12 academically transferable credits and obtain a 3.0 in those classes. At that point you can petition for re-admission.

To petition you will need to write a letter that should be addressed to the Academic Standing Committee. Drop it off or mail it to the Student Support Services Director.

The letter must address and cite examples:

  • Why specifically you ended up on probation the first time
  • Why you were not able to get off probation while at Cal Lutheran
  • What you did differently at the other school to make you more successful
  • What you are going to do when you return to Cal Lutheran to continue your success

The Director of Student Support Services will bring your petition to the Academic Standing Committee (meets 1-2 times a month) and you will be notified by mail of the outcome.

There is no petition for disqualification. It is a final exit status for the student. You will need to apply to another institution to complete your studies.

Even if you successfully complete your academic probation contract, you will need to work with financial aid to avoid financial aid probation for failure to complete 24 credits in one academic year.

Applying for re-admission

You will need to write a letter addressed to the Academic Standing Committee dropped off at the office of Student Support Services. This letter will need to address:

  1. Why you were on probation (specific causes and documented proof if necessary). A key here is personal and honest reflection as to why you ended up on probation.
  2. What you have done to change the situation. Include specific steps, support systems, or changes you have implemented.
  3. What you will do to change the problems you were having to cause probation at Cal Lutheran. Give specifics and how they directly relate to #1.
  4. A four-year plan for graduation including classes, or however many years/semesters it will take for you to graduate. Include all the classes needed for your completion.

This petition will then be taken by the Director of Student Support Services to a board for approval of re-admissions. If you are approved for re-admission, you will then need to meet with your Student Support Services Academic Counselor and make another contract for success. You have one more semester to be successful. If you are not able to bring all of your GPAs to a 2.0 or higher (cumulative and term) then you will be disqualified.


If you don't sign the contract by the add/drop deadline of your probation semester, all of your classes will be dropped from your schedule. You will have to contact Student Support Services before you can attend them.

If you don't fulfill the contract, your registration will be held up between two days and 32 business days. The ratio is available in the office as to how registration holds are calculated.

After suspension

If you were afforded the opportunity to return to Cal Lutheran and were unsuccessful, meaning that all of your GPA's were not successfully raised to a 2.0 or higher in one semester, then you will be placed on Disqualification. Disqualification is when you are restricted from returning to Cal Lutheran and will not be allowed to return. This status is never petitionable.

Appealing suspension/probation

If you don't agree with being placed on probation or suspension due to extenuating circumstances or clerical error, you may simply write a letter to the Academic Standing Committee and drop it off to the Director of Student Support Services and he/she will bring it to the committee for evaluation.

Sample letter for re-admission

We would be happy to help you with a letter and even provide a sample for you when you come in to visit the office. You should know your Student Support Services Academic Counselor very well by the time you write the letter so it should not take much time. Contact us at (805) 493-3535.