CALL Institute Supporting the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy
CONTENT AREA LANGUAGE AND LITERACY (CALL) TRAINING
CALL offers middle and high school content teachers practical, research-based instructional routines that help students access and engage with a variety of complex text across content areas. The institute provides instructional routines that scaffold students’ comprehension of complex text and academic language development, making challenging text accessible, relevant, and comprehensible to all students, including English learners. The end goal is for students to independently comprehend complex texts across a range of types and disciplines in order to build strong content knowledge.
- Recognize how the content of a comprehensive literacy framework is aligned with the content and structure of the CA ELA/ELD Framework
- Learn to implement instructional strategies and routines to help make complex academic text more accessible to all students, increase students' use of academic language, both oral and written, and foster motivation and engagement
- Learn strategies for differentiation to facilitate access to core content for English learners across levels of English language proficiency (Integrated ELD)
- Learn strategies to build into and from content instruction to develop the academic English language that English learners need for content learning in English (Designated ELD)
- Become familiar with a model for sustained teacher collaboration in content area, grade level, and department level teams, following the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), to promote implementation of strategies and routines learned in the institute
Attendance is required on all dates. All days end at 3:30 p.m.
Ventura County Office of Education, Conference and Educational Services Center, 5100 Adolfo Road, Camarillo, CA 93012
$700 per participant (includes handbook and materials). Lunch is on your own.
All CRLP Signature Professional Learning Programs meet criteria for professional learning in LCFF and ESEA's "High-Quality Professional Development" for Title I, III, V and VII, Part A; and for Title II, Part A and B.
If you have any questions about registration or this training, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register by Sept. 13, 2019