See our Patron Types chart for borrowing privileges and loan periods
See our Copyright and Fair Use Research Guide for policies surrounding our print and electronic collections
Your California Lutheran University ID card serves as your library access and borrowing card. To check out items, please present them and your card at the Circulation Desk. Borrowing periods vary based on the type of material and borrowing privileges of the patron. See patron types chart for more information or for information about Psy./Ed. Test Collection policies and procedures check here.
- Patrons are responsible for all items checked out on their account.
- It is the patron's responsibility to know when to return or renew materials on or before due dates, and handle materials with care to avoid damaging the materials.
- All borrowed items are subject to immediate recall if needed for Course Reserves.
You may place a hold on an item using the link on the item's detail page in the library catalog. The library will email you when the item is available. We are not able to recall an item from another patron. Items will only be recalled for Course Reserves. If items are needed immediately for research purposes, please try borrowing via Interlibrary Loan.
Students and Staff may place up to 10 items on hold at one time. All other patrons may place 5 items on hold at one time.
If you would like to extend the due date on library item(s) checked out to you, please follow the procedures listed below:
- Renewal of library materials may be made on or before the item due date, providing
no other patron has requested the item(s). Cal Lutheran affiliates may renew their
1. Using myPearson to renew items online; 2. visiting the Circulation Desk; or 3. calling the Circulation desk.
- An item may not be renewed if:
1. The item has met the renewal limit; 2. Another patron has requested the item; 3. The item has been recalled for Course Reserves.
- Up to two renewals are permitted on all items excluding: test materials, Course Reserves, interlibrary loans, and library equipment.
- Overdue movies may be renewed; however, late fees will still be assessed upon return of the item.
- To renew an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) please fill out this request formbefore the due date so we may request an extension from the lending library.
- If items are not renewed, they must be returned on or before the due date. Patrons may return items inside the library by visiting the Circulation Desk, or dropping it into the book drop built into the Circulation Desk. If the library is closed, patrons may utilize two outdoor accessible book drops. One is located outside the library building to the left of the exterior sliding doors. The second location is in the G2 parking lot (by the chapel) at the beginning of the sidewalk which leads to Gumby/ Enormous Luther Statue.
- Please refrain from returning DVDs to the book bin near the chapel to avoid any damage as the DVDs may get crushed by books.
- We do not charge daily overdue fines on General Collection, Popular Collection, or Juvenile Collection materials. However, long-overdue materials will be declared missing and you will be billed $50.00 for each item, plus a $15.00 processing fee. Please consult with a librarian before purchasing an item for replacement of a library copy. Only approved replacement copies will be accepted in lieu of the $50 replacement cost. The $15.00 processing fee will still apply.
- There is a $1.00 per day charge for failure to return videos, DVDs, Course Reserves, and education/psychology testing materials on time.
- Patrons are not obligated to repay the full amount of their fines at once, however patrons with $5.00 or more in overdue or replacement fines may not check out items (including Course Reserve items). Fines can be paid via cash or personal check.
- Student patrons who maintain $5.00 or more in fines on their account for an extended period of time are subject to a library hold. Library holds may prevent course registration and/or transcript requests.
Looking for information on Interlibrary Loan?