DS-2019 Process

DS-2019 Application Process

To initiate a CLU request for a J-1 Exchange Visitor, you must be a department administrator or faculty member.

This process involves three (3) parties: the Academic Department inviting the exchange visitor, the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS), and the Visiting Scholar. A visual representation of the process shown to the right.

J-1 Application Procedure

Visiting Scholars' Supporting Documents

In construction!

Please contact jscholar@callutheran.edu for more information.

J-1 Home Residency Requirements

The U.S. Department of State supports Exchange Visitors as part of our diplomacy efforts. To fulfill the people-to-people impact on cultural awareness and understanding, an EV is expected to engage with the Cal Lutheran community and then return to their home country to share about their experience in the USA. The return to one’s home country under the “J-1 Bars”/Home Residency Requirement and exceptions to the bar are dependent upon various factors. The OISS staff is available for consultation on categories and requirements.

Note:  If the J-1 Exchange Visitor is subject to a Bar, the J-2 Dependents are also subject.

J-2 Dependents

Only spouses and children (under 21) may come as dependents of the J-1 visa holder. Health insurance
is mandatory for accompanying dependents. A J-2’s DS-2019 may be issued along with the J-1’s
application or upon arrival to the USA (if the arrival dates of dependents is unknown).

To request to add your dependents, please contact OISS at jscholar@CalLutheran.edu. As a
reminder, the funding projection per dependent is outlined on the Statement of Finances. For reference
as of January 2024, the minimum amount of money required for living expenses is $2,000.00 per month
for the principal J-1 Visa holder. If dependents will accompany the visiting scholar, documentation
showing additional funds of $1,200.00 per month and per dependent for the initial exchange period will be

If your spouse and/or children will only be visiting you for a short period, they may wish to apply for a
tourist visa.  See the Department of State for more information.