Qualifying for an Added Multiple Subject Credential
If you are eligible for a Single Subject Teaching Credential or already hold this credential, and wish to obtain eligibility for a Multiple Subject credential you will need to verify the following:
- Subject-matter competency in multiple subjects by examination (CSET, subtests 101, 214, 103) or obtain a Letter of Equivalency from an approved university.
- Possession of an English learner authorization issued by the Commission authorizing service in English Language Development (ELD) and Specially Designed Academic Instruction delivered in English (SDAIE).
- Completion of a course in developing English language skills for beginning readers (EDTP 521Literacy and Language in Diverse Classrooms)
- Passage of RICA examination
- Completion of a three or four-semester-unit course directly related to teaching in a self-contained classroom excluding the methods of teaching reading (EDTP 525 Teaching II: Advanced Planning and Methods for Content Standards - Elementary)
To complete the required course(s), candidates must do the following in this order:
- Fulfill the subject matter competency requirement by passing the CSET, Multiple Subjects, subtests 101, 214, and 103 or obtaining a Letter of Equivalency from an approved university.
- Complete a Graduate Application for Admission and submit it to your Admission Counselor in Graduate Admissions to be officially admitted into the Multiple Subject program.
- Wait to be notified that you have been approved to enroll in the course(s).
- NOTE: Graduate School of Education policy requires that you wait until you have completed one program before undertaking course work in another program.
Applying for the Multiple Subject Credential
These added credentials are not recommended by the University. Once the course has been completed and the subject matter requirement fulfilled,
complete instructions for the application process and submission of all verifying
materials are located on the CTC website.
The process may take up to 90 days or more. Download the CTC leaflet Adding Authorizations to Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credentialsto obtain more detailed information.