6-on-6 Volleyball will be played Tuesday nights at 7pm in Soiland Gym. Co-ed teams must have at least 2 players of each gender on the court of all times.
Join the league!
- Registration ends: 2/17
- Season Starts: 2/19
- When: Tuesday nights
- Where: Soiland Recreation Center
Check IMLeagues for the upcoming game schedule.
- Rules & Regulations
Any rule or play interpretation not covered in these rules shall be governed by the playing rules established by USA Volleyball (USAV).
- Rosters may consist of up to 14 players.
- Cal Lutheran NCAA Athletes cannot play in the same Intramural Sports (ex. IM Volleyball) as their Cal Lutheran NCAA Sport (NCAA Volleyball); unless their Cal Lutheran NCAA athletic eligibility is done (Seniors or players who have finished their last NCAA season and have no more NCAA eligibility)
- Please view the following page for more information or for appropriate forms: NCAA Eligibility
THE GAME, COURT, PLAYERS AND EQUIPMENT
Section 1. The Game
- The game shall be played by two teams of six players; at least two players must be female.
- The serving order and positions on the court shall alternate with the existing rotation.
- A team may begin a game with five players, at least one of which must be from each gender.
- If the ball hits the net on a serve and goes over it is a good serve and must be played. There are no “let” serves.
- Matches will be determined through rally scoring, best of three games. The first 2 games will be played to 21 points. If a third game is necessary, it goes to 15 points.
Section 2. The Court
- The game shall be played in a court 60 feet x 30 feet.
- The height of the net shall be 8 feet.
Section 1. Net Play and Rotation
- There are no restrictions on males or females at the net, however if a player touches the net during game play (see touching the net below), it is a fault, the other team will be awarded the point.
- There must be a consistent rotation for players. No players may stay in one position the entire game. Also if there are extra players no player may skip being substituted on a rotation, unless it means they will be under the legal gender requirements.
- Back attackers are permitted after the point has begun, but must stay behind the 6 foot line.
- If the ball is played out wide it still must cross back through the antennas to count as still in play.
Section 2. Playing the ball
- A player cannot block back a serve.
- There are no restrictions on how many times a male or a female must hit the ball before
it clears to the other side.
Any part of the body may be used to hit the ball back over the net except for intentionally heading the ball.
- Sets need to be performed cleanly without holding the ball.
- Touching the net- A player cannot touch the net with any part of her body. The only exceptions are if a ball is hit into the net causing it to be forced into a player.
- Players cannot reach over the net to hit the ball when it is on the opponent's side, except when blocking (cannot touch ball until it's been hit by opponent). Extending beyond the net is legal if it occurs after the player has spiked the ball.
- Interfering with opponents- If a player lands onto the opponent's side of the court, it is a fault.