Getting you to the finish line - are you ready to earn your degree?
To graduate from Cal Lutheran University means you've earned your degree and completed all degree requirements. Once this occurs, Academic Services will post the degree to your academic transcript, which is the official statement from Cal Lutheran that you have graduated.
To start the graduation process, you must inform the University of your intent to graduate in a specific term by submitting an online Degree Application through Student Planning and pay the graduation fee online. Apply for the term in which you will complete your degree program. You are strongly encouraged to apply for the degree as soon as possible and review the remaining requirements.
Once you have applied for your degree you may be able to participate in the commencement ceremony. If you do participate in the commencement ceremony this is not a guarantee that you have met your degree requirements for your degree to be posted.
If a student is unable to complete their degree by the degree conferral date they will receive a letter of "Missing Degree Requirements" and they will need to reapply for their degree once they have completed the missing degree requirements.
- Degree Conferral
We post degrees 5 times a year at the end of a term. The months we post degrees are:
* All work for your degree must be completed before the degree conferral date. This includes any incomplete work, classes taken outside of CLU going towards your degree and any comprehensive exams.
* Academic Services is not able to post a degree for a pervious term, even if all work was completed by that date. If a student did not apply for their degree before the degree conferral date their degree will have to be posted in the next posting period.
- Priority Deadlines
Degree Conferral Time Filing Dates
January through August degree completion.
This applies to the February, May & August conferral dates.
October 1st of the previous year
September through December degree completion.
This applies to November & December conferral dates.
March 1st of the same year
- When applying for your degree please make sure your degree, major and/or minor are current.
- Students may apply for their degree anytime before the degree conferral date unless otherwise stated.
- If you apply and pay the graduation fee after the priority deadline the graduation
fee goes up $25
- You can pay the graduation fee here: https://commerce.cashnet.com/CLUREG.
- If a student is receiving more than one degree they must pay the graduation fee for
- Example: A undergraduate student receiving both a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts
- Example: A graduate student that is receiving a Master's Degree and continuing on to a Doctoral Degree
- Degree Posting Timeline
Degree posting period is 30-44 days and begins on the conferral date. Our goal is to complete this process within 30 days. The degree must be posted for the details to appear on the academic transcript. Students who want their degree reflected on the transcript are advised to wait or confirm that the degree conferral is complete prior to ordering a copy. You will receive official communication regrading your degree conferral to your CLU email address.
If you are using transfer work to complete degree requirements, the Academic Services Office must have received the signed Transfer Approval Form(s) and official transcript(s) from the institution(s) within 30 working days of the end of the degree date. Items received after that date will not be applicable to the graduation term and will cause the application to be cancelled.
Diplomas for recent graduates are ordered at the end of the posting period and may take approximately 2 to 3 months for students to receive their paper diploma and Certified Electronic Diploma.
The diploma mailing/shipping address is submitted with the degree application and may be different from the address listed in the student’s official record. Diplomas are sent via USPS. Students who need to update the diploma mailing/shipping address should contact their Student Success Counselor and submit the request in writing no later than 30 days after the degree conferral date.
Note: Changing the diploma address will not automatically change the official record and vice-versa; these are two separate processes.
For all Undergraduate and Graduate Programs:
Diplomas for recent graduates are ordered at the end of the posting period and may take approximately 2 to 3 months for students to receive their paper and electronic copies.
For Undergraduate Programs:
Your diploma will list the degree type, major and/or majors, honors and date of degree on undergraduate diplomas. Minors/emphasis are not listed on the diploma but will be noted on the student's transcript when it is completed in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
Latin honors are awarded to baccalaureate candidates only according to the following grade point criteria:
- Cum Laude
Minimum grade point average: 3.5
- Magna Cum Laude
Minimum grade point average: 3.7
- Summa Cum Laude
Minimum grade point average: 3.9
These grade point averages must apply to CLU as well as to cumulative credits and GPAs are not rounded, they are truncated.
- Cum Laude