Terms & Conditions

By completing the Student Housing Application, you agree to the following terms and conditions:

  • Only students officially accepted for admission to California Lutheran University will be eligible for housing accommodations. Currently enrolled students will receive first preference for assignments up to the deadline date that is announced.
  • This room and board contract is considered a commitment for the entire academic year.
  • Students requesting to live on campus are expected to be aware of and abide by all the policies of the University as stated in the University Catalog and Standards of Conduct. These policies include but are not limited to: no alcohol or illegal drugs, including medical marijuana, on campus; quiet hours, and a general respect for the rights of other residents.
  • The University reserves the right to make a student's assignment to any Residence Hall and to alter the assignment requested if the Residence Hall requested is not available at the time of the receipt of the application by the University. The University also reserves the right to establish special criteria for residency in designated Residence Halls and to select students for those halls on the basis of established criteria. The University also reserves the right to assign students to any available space, to move or consolidate individual students or groups of students if the need arises.
  • Rooms may not be sublet nor may any room assignments be changed without the approval of the Residence Life Office.
  • All residential students not living in Apartment-Style Residence Halls will be required to participate in a meal plan. The meal plan you choose on your application will remain in effect until you indicate otherwise. Changes to your meal plan must be made by the second Friday of classes during each semester. You may submit your request to change your meal plan by sending an email with your current plan, the plan you want, and your student ID number to reslife@callutheran.edu. Please refer to the Residence Life webpage for more information about meal plans.
  • The University observes the right to enter student rooms for the purpose of inspection, inventory, custodial service, protection of property, ensuring cooperation with University Policies, and for ensuring safety and welfare of an individual or groups of individuals.
  • This agreement does not grant permission to occupy the Residence Halls during vacation periods (i.e. holiday break between semesters) with the exception of upperclassmen halls and other pre-approved students required to be on campus (athletics, student employment, other).
  • The University does not assume any responsibility for damage to or loss of personal belongings, including theft/burglary. Students are encouraged to obtain their own insurance coverage if their effects are not included in their parents' homeowners policy. Information on student personal property insurance is available in the Residence Life Office.
  • A $400 housing deposit will be required when a student submits his or her application/contract. The deposit is required and is refundable, less any damage assessments, at termination of residency and fulfillment of contract. Damage of undetermined origin will be distributed to all students in the hall.
  • Students who wish to cancel their housing will be assessed a cancellation fee and forfeit any/all of their housing deposit. Please refer to the Residence Life website, important dates, for specific information. Once a student occupies a room, he/she will be required to pay for on-campus housing for the entire academic year, unless graduating, studying abroad, or other approved academic year departure.
  • All students residing on campus are required to have a campus mail box and are responsible for checking their CLU email account.
  • CLU observes a residency requirement. Under this requirement, students are required to live on campus unless they are: 23 years of age or older, have senior status academically (90+ credits), are living off campus with their parents within 30 miles of the school, or are married. Other students wishing to live off campus must petition to the Housing Review Committee in order to be considered for approval to live off campus. Students who do not petition and do not meet the residency requirement will be charged for room and board.