Parent FAQs

What happens if my student is documented?

After an incident is reported by a member of the Residence Life staff, Campus Safety, or another University official, the students involved will receive Call to Hearing Letters, alerting them of the need to schedule an appointment with a conduct officer. The student is responsible for scheduling and attending an appointment within the time allotted. During the appointment, the student will have the opportunity to review the Incident Report and share any additional information with the conduct officer, as well as discuss the incident and the student's involvement.

Am I allowed to see my student's conduct record?

According to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), when the University decides that compelling circumstances exist which affect the health and/or safety of an individual, it is the right of the University to notify parents about their student's situation. There are specific times and incidents which the University will alert parents about. They are not limited to, but include the following:

    • Transport to the hospital for emergency/life threatening care
    • Arrest
    • 2nd Alcohol Violation (if the student is under 21 years of age)
    • Drug Possession (if the student is under 21 years of age)

When parents are notified, the student will also be notified of the information passed along to parents.

If a parent wants to view their student's file and the University does not deem that the above circumstances exist, the student must sign a FERPA Release Form, stating that they waive the right to privacy. FERPA Release Forms may be obtained from the Residence Life and Student Conduct Office.

What rights does my student have to disagree with a decision made by the University?

Every student has the right to file an appeal of the decision of responsibility to the University Hearing Board (UHB). A request for appeal must be received in writing within 5 business days of the administrative hearing. If a student wishes to appeal the decision of the UHB, they may do so only under two conditions: 1) Presentation of new evidence, or 2) Violation of due process.

Where can I find more information about FERPA?

To see the official act, click here.