Bachelor of Arts
World affairs are no longer primarily defined by national boundaries, but by the global integration of resources, ideas, and communities.
It is more important than ever to be able to understand the complex factors that affect our world's choices.
A study of many factors
The Global Studies program offers courses that examine the actors (individuals, countries, non-governmental organizations), ideas, and processes that shape the cultural, social, political, and economic dimensions of global society.
Courses are divided into three themes. These themes are used to illustrate how similar issues are understood across different communities in global society.
- Global Culture and Identity – These courses examine how historical, cultural, racial/ethnic, gender and spirituality factors are understood within a global context.
- Global Governance and Civil Society – These courses examine how actors encounter the political and social challenges and opportunities posed by integration and interdependence in global society.
- Global Economy, Development and Resources – These courses examine the economic forces, technology and natural resources in the global community.
Experience the world you're studying
Global studies students are required to engage in experiential learning through field research and through an internship or studying abroad. This fosters cultural sensitivity and an appreciation of global diversity.
Expand your capstone research
The best capstone projects are selected for the Pearson Scholar summer research program. If selected, you will work on expanding your project full-time during a summer break. Pearson Scholars can then present their work at professional and/or undergraduate research conferences.
Offered as a major (BA) and a minor
Popular Minor Pairings
- Ethnic Studies
- Global Business
- Political Science
- Theology and Christian Leadership
Global Studies has given me an immensely global perspective to my biology passion, and how the health and environmental issues affecting our planet need global solutions. It is a major I would unreservedly recommend to anyone wishing to find a way to explore a different discipline in college or looking for a more well-rounded perspective to any other major.Joseph Enders '16
Global Studies, Biology
I chose to double major in Political Science and Global Studies after participating in the CLU Oxford Program. Prior to this, I was much more focused on American government and politics, but developed a more holistic view of governance and interdependency between countries and regions while I was abroad. This piqued my interest in international affairs, so I decided to add a Global Studies major to expose myself to the study of new (to me, at least), complex issues I was becoming more and more passionate about.Olivia Marcey '17
Global Studies, Political Science
Armed with knowledge, perspectives, and skills acquired through their degree, our alumni pursue their interests and careers everywhere in the world.
They take advantage of opportunities created in the global world and work with people from different cultural and religious backgrounds for peace, social justice, cross-cultural understanding, and business.
Our alumni study at:
- Boston University
- California State University Fullerton
- Geneva institute for Development
- University California Santa Barbara
- University of Oxford/Exeter College
Our alumni work for:
- Center for Teaching Language in China
- City of Los Angeles
- Reagan Presidential Library & Museum
- Score Educational Centers
- Tommaso Barletta
- Wells Fargo Financial
- Marketing and PR Director
- Project Coordinator
- Special Programs Coordinator
- Travel Agent
of Cal Lutheran graduates find a job or enroll in graduate school within nine months
Uyeno-Tseng Professor of International Studies, Professor of Political Science, Faculty Director CLU-Oxford Study Abroad
Professor of Political Science
Professor of Religion
Professor and Associate Provost for Experiential Learning, Research, and Faculty Development
Professor of Political Science
Professor of Sociology