Shauna K. Hannan, Ph.D.
Professor of Homiletics
2000 Center Street, Suite 200
The Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan is Professor of Homiletics at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (of California Lutheran University) and Core Doctoral Faculty of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) in Berkeley, CA. Dr. Hannan received her Ph.D. in Practical Theology (Homiletics) from Princeton Theological Seminary. Her published work can be found in Word & World, Dialog, Currents in Theology and Mission, Journal of Lutheran Ethics and Ecumenical Trends. You can find her biblical commentaries for preachers on workingpreacher.org, in The Christian Century, New Proclamation and Sundays & Seasons. She is co-editor of Eco-Lutheranism: Lutheran Perspectives on Ecology. Dr. Hannan has been an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) since 1998. Currently, Dr. Hannan serves on the candidacy committee for Pacifica and Southwest CA Synods and is rostered in Rocky Mountain Synod of the ELCA. Hannan's book, The Peoples' Sermon: Preaching as a Ministry of the Whole Congregation will be released by Fortress Press in the Fall of 2021. She is currently researching and writing on how the craft of filmmaking (especially screenwriting) can serve the craft of preaching.
- Professor of Homiletics, PLTS (2020-)
- Associate Professor of Homiletics, PLTS (2014-2020)
- Core Doctoral Faculty, GTU (2015-)
- Assistant/Associate Professor of Homiletics, Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (2008-2014)
- Teaching Fellow in Preaching and Speech, Princeton Theological Seminary (2005-2008)
- Associate Director of Admissions,Luther Seminary (2002-2004)
- Associate Pastor, Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Moorhead, MN (1998-2002)
- GTU Religion and Practice Department Chair
- GTU Faculty Council
- CLU Faculty Senate
- CLU Graduate and Professional Education Committee Member
- PLTS Academic Committee
- Society for Biblical Literature Member
- Lutheran Women in Theology and Religion Studies (LWTRS) Steering Committee Member
- ELCA Co-operative Candidacy Committee (Pacifica and Southwest California) Member
- Association of Teaching Theologians (ATT) Nominating Committee (formerly steering committee member and Chair)
- PLTS Ethics, Old Testament, New Testament (Chair) Faculty Search Committee
- Ph.D., Practical Theology (Homiletics), Princeton Theological Seminary
Dissertation: “Lutheran Preachers and the Third Use of the Law: A Homiletical Approach to Overcome the Impasse”
- M.Div., Luther Seminary
- B.A., Spanish and Communications, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
- Biblical exegesis for preaching
- Exegeting the context
- Creative writing for the preacher
- Preaching public issues
- Preaching occasional services
- Practical theology
- Performance and preaching
Current Research Interests
- Preaching as a ministry of the whole congregation
- Theology and film
- Preaching public issues
- Teaching preaching in an ecumenical setting
- The homiletical effect of preachers diversifying their dialogue partners
- Theology and economic justice
- Global homiletics textbooks
- The Peoples’ Sermon: Preaching as a Ministry of the Whole Congregation. Fortress Press (Publication Date: Nov. 2021).
- Hannan, Shauna K., Nancy Claire Pittman, David B. Lott, Richard I. Pervo, S.D. Giere. New Proclamation, Series A, Easter through Christ the King. Edited by David B. Lott. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2011.
- and Karla Bohmbach, eds. Eco-Lutheranism: Lutheran Perspectives on Ecology. Minneapolis: Lutheran University Press, 2013.
Chapters/sections in Books:
- Book Chapter in Festschrift for Gail Ramshaw, Conversations About Divine Mystery: Engagements with the Work of Gail Ramshaw, edited by Stephen Burns and HyeRan Kim-Cragg (forthcoming)
- “The History of Lutheran Preaching.” In Preaching the Manifold Grace of God: Theologies of Preaching in Major Historical Theological Families, edited by Ronald Allen (Eugene: Wipf and Stock, Fall 2021).
- Contributor, Commentary “From a Scholar” on Lectionary 15 and 16 Texts, Sundays and Seasons: Preaching, 2015, Year B (Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2015), 201, 205.
- “The Revised Common Lectionary: Help or Hindrance for Addressing Human Sexuality from the Pulpit.” In Papers of the Academy of Homiletics, 2013.
- “Lutheran Preaching and the Third Use of the Law.” In Proclaiming the Gospel: Preaching for the Life of the Church, edited by Brian K. Peterson. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2009.
- “Lowry’s Loop and the Third Use of the Law.” In Papers of the Academy of Homiletics, 2007.
“Pass the Mic: Expanding Pulpit Privilege” in Currents in Theology and Mission (July, 2020).
VLOG, “Dos and Don’ts of Recording Sermons, Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning (Fall 2019) https://www.wabashcenter.wabash.edu/2019/12/the-dos-and-dont-of-recording-sermons/
Four-Part Series, “What Preachers Can Learn from Filmmakers,” Wabash Center for Teaching Learning (2019-2020) https://www.wabashcenter.wabash.edu/author/skhannan88hotmail-com/
o Nobody Goes to the Cinema to Read the Screenplay
o Impact Teams
o Big Picture Editing
o Medium and Close-Up Editing
- "Going Against the Grain: A Page Out of My Death Autobiography," Dialog 57, no. 4 (December 2018), 235-238.
- “John Chrysostom.” Deeper Understanding Series in The Living Lutheran (ELCA) 3:6 (September 2018), 44-45.
- “Week of Prayer for Christian Unity Homily Notes on Exodus 15:6” in Ecumenical Trends: Graymoor Ecumenical & Interreligious Institute 46:11 (December 2017): 12-15.
- “Preaching Helps for Epiphany of our Lord” in Currents in Theology and Mission 45:1 (January 2018): 61-62.
- “Preaching Helps for Baptism of our Lord” in Currents in Theology and Mission 45:1 (January 2018): 62-63.
- “That All Might Proclaim: Continuing Luther’s Legacy of Access.” Dialog: A Journal of Theology 56:2 (June 2017): 169-175.
- “Incarnation.” Refo500 Series in The Living Lutheran (ELCA) (December 2016):
- Lutheran Preachers and the Third Use of the Law: A Homiletical Approach to Overcome the Impasse.” Currents in Theology and Mission 41, no. 5 (October 2014): 319-325.
- “The Revised Common Lectionary: Help or Hindrance for Addressing Human Sexuality from the Pulpit.” Theology and Sexuality 19 (2013).
- “When Scripture Speaks out of Both Sides of Its Mouth: Dueling Preachers on a Faithful Food Ethic.” Texts in Context. Word and World 33, no. 4 (2013): 399-405.
- “Living by the Word.” Christian Century. 8 September 2013.
- and Mark Swanson. “Salvation: A Conversation between (and for) Lutherans.” The Lutheran, January 2012.
- “Bible Study” [presentation notes]. Caring Connections: An Inter-Lutheran Journal for Practitioners and Teachers of Pastoral Care and Counseling 8, no. 1 (Spring 2011).
- “Introduction to Preaching on Social Issues Series.” Journal of Lutheran Ethics 10, no. 10 (October 2010).
- “What Do the Words of Sermons Do to You?” Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary Southern Bulletin 27, no. 2 (2010): 4.
- “Writing Sermons for the Ear” (Parts 1, 2, 3). workingpreacher.org. Entries posted June, 2009.
- “Using Commentaries Effectively and Faithfully.” workingpreacher.org. Entry posted April 5, 2009.
- “Encountering the Risen Lord: Reading the Easter Gospels.” Word and World 24, no. 2 (Spring 2004): 198-203.
Online Lectionary Commentaries for Preachers (workingpreacher.org - Luther Seminary)
- "Psalm 8." Entry posted May 22, 2016.
- “Psalm 147.” Entry posted February 8, 2015.
- “Psalm 111.” Entry posted February 1, 2015.
- “Psalm 62.” Entry posted January 25, 2015.
- “Psalm 139.” Entry posted January 8, 2015.
- “Psalm 119.” Entry posted July 27, 2014.
- “Psalm 112.” Entry posted February 9, 2014.
- “Psalm 148.” Entry posted April 28, 2013.
- “Psalm 23.” Entry posted April 21, 2013.
- “Psalm 30.” Entry posted April 14, 2013.
- “Psalm 150.” Entry posted April 7, 2013.
- “Psalm 4.” Entry posted April 22, 2012.
- “Psalm 133.” Entry posted April 15, 2012.
- “Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24.” Entry posted April 8, 2012.
- “Psalm 31:9-16.” Entry posted April 1, 2012.
- “Psalm 97.” Entry posted December 25, 2010.
- “Psalm 96.” Entry posted December 24, 2010.
- “Proverbs 25:6-7.” Entry posted August 29, 2010.
- “Isaiah 58:9b-14.” Entry posted August 22, 2010.
- “Jeremiah 23:23-29.” Entry posted August 15, 2010.
- “Ecclesiastes 1:2, 12-14, 2:18-23.” Entry posted August 1, 2010.
- “Psalm 19.” Entry posted January 24, 2010 and March 15, 2009.
- “Psalm 22:23-31.” Entry posted March 8, 2009.
- “Psalm 25:1-10.” Entry posted March 1, 2009.
- “Psalm 50:1-6.” Entry posted February 22, 2009.
- Review of Film as Religion, Second Edition: Myths, Morals, and Rituals by John C. Lyden. Teaching Theology and Religion, online, vol. 2:2 (2021).
- Review of Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue 2nd ed. By Robert K. Johnston. Homiletic 38, no. 2 (2013).
- Review of Blended Learning: Across the Disciplines, Across the Academy. Edited by Francine S. Glazer. Teaching Theology and Religion 16, no. 1 (July 2013).
- Review of Teaching Intensive and Accelerated Courses: Instruction that Motivates Learning by Raymond J. Wlodkowski and Margery B. Ginsberg. Teaching Theology and Religion 16, no. 1 (July 2013).
- Review of Sunday by Sunday III by Cristi Fossum. workingpreacher.org. Center for Biblical Preaching at Luther Seminary. Entry posted October 13, 2011.
- Review of Accompany Them with Singing: The Christian Funeral by Thomas G. Long. Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary Southern Bulletin 29, no. 1 (2011): 18.
- Review of Performance in Preaching edited by Jana Childers and Clayton J. Schmit. Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary Southern Bulletin 29, no. 1 (2011): 18.
- Review of Pauline Parallels: A Comprehensive Guide by Walter T. Wilson. Koinonia, XVIII (2009): 145-47.
- Lenten Devotions, California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA (2015)
- “God Pause” devotions, Luther Seminary, Saint Paul, MN (2014)
- “What Does This Mean?” Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary—School of Theology of Lenoir-Rhyne University, video and study guide (2014).
- et al. ELCA Candidacy Approval Essay. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. “Approval Essay May 2013-April 2014.” http://www.elca.org/Growing-In-Faith/Vocation/Become-a-Leader/Candidacy/Forms.aspx.
- Foreword to Sunday by Sunday III, by Cristi Fossum. Columbia, SC: Create in Me Enterprises LLC, 2011.
- “Preaching Moment 75” (video). workingpreacher.org. Entry posted August 30, 2009.
- Sermon. In “Closing the Sermon.” In the Company of Preachers. Center for Biblical Preaching at Luther Seminary, 2008, compact disc.
Thrivent Fellows Program