State and Institution Grants

Cal Grant

This state grant is for California residents only and is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The amount provided varies based on the institution the student attends and the grant he or she is awarded. Cal Grant A or B award $9,084 for 2018-19, while a Cal Grant B Access awards $1,672. Students may qualify for both a Cal Grant B and B Access. To be considered, students must file their FAFSA and submit a completed GPA Verification Form no later than March 2. For more information on eligibility for the Cal Grant program and the GPA Verification Form process, please visit

University Grant

The University Grant (formerly known as CLU Grant) is available to full-time undergraduate students. Eligibility is based on Financial Need as determined annually by completing the FAFSA. The University Grant is a need-based grant and subject to adjustments based on the cost of attendance, EFC (Expected Family Contribution) and/or other federal, state or institutional assistance.

Occasionally University Grants may be replaced by endowed scholarship funds made possible through the donations from generous benefactors to Cal Lutheran. These types of changes will not affect the total financial aid package.

International Grants

International Grants are awarded to International Students based on demonstrated need calculated using the International Financial Aid Application. This application is only available to students who are applying for admission for the 2022-2023 academic year. If a student is awarded an International Grant, the amount remains the same for all years of attendance at Cal Lutheran. The grant amount DOES NOT increase or decrease. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Access Grants

Access Grants are awarded annually to AB 540 eligible students. To be considered students must complete a California Dream Act Application every year. There are a limited number of grants available. The amount of the grant may change in subsequent years. The final amount will be determined annually by the Office of Financial Aid.

For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid. To begin your application, please visit