Be a Speaker
Call for Graduate Commencement Speaker Submissions
Graduate Commencement Speaker
Please complete this submission form for consideration to be one of this year's Graduate Commencement Speakers. We are seeking two speakers, one to represent the master’s programs and the other to represent the doctoral programs. The timeline is as follows:
- Friday, February 22, 2019: Submissions accepted through end of the day
- Friday, March 1, 2019: Finalists contacted
- Monday, March 4, 2019: Finalists required to submit a video of their speeches
- Friday, March 29, 2019: Selected speakers notified
- All Graduate students are eligible to compete for the position of Graduate Commencement Speaker. The role of the graduate speaker is to represent the graduating class and to carry the message of the class to the graduation audience (families, friends, faculty, and staff of CLU).
The following guidelines may be used to write and submit a graduation speech:
- Speeches should be no longer than 5 minutes when read aloud
- Speeches can blend personal perspective with the significance of the moment
- Speeches can focus on one or more of the following: honoring the occasion; lessons learned as a CLU graduate student; expressing joy and gratitude; inspiring graduates to continue fulfilling their purpose in life; how the graduate degree will assist the community (e.g., service, “giving back,” “paying it forward”); how the pursuit of the degree has benefitted the individual personally; how the pursuit of the degree has enhanced the graduate’s career, opportunities, ability to mentor, status, brought meaning to their family, support system, career, or employment.
- Be yourself. The speech is professional but can include personal reflections, wit, and humor.
Please contact Mel Spence at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.