Mathews Leadership Forum
This forum provides an opportunity for the campus community to engage in meaningful dialogue on an important topic with prominent business and community leaders.
This evening event begins with networking followed by roundtable discussions where civic, business, and community leaders are paired with Cal Lutheran students and faculty members in order to build relationships and provide mentoring opportunities. The table topic discussions are led by a distinguished group of facilitators. This is followed by dinner and a keynote address or panel discussion.
The committee, chaired by John Short III, Senior Vice President, UBS Financial Services, chooses an interesting and timely topic that fits into a major emphasis of the academic programs. The event is made possible through the generous support of local business and community organizations.
For more information, please contact Robin Fielding in University Relations at 805-493-3084.
Finding Your Path to Success
Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017
5:45-9:00 p.m. in the Lundring Events Center
Russell S. Young '71
Former CFO of Lyondell Chemical Company
Russell S. Young retired as senior vice president and chief financial officer of the Lyondell Chemical Company after 18 years in the high-performance chemical and oil refining industries. He was involved in numerous multibillion dollar joint ventures and jumbo transactions after successfully overhauling the company’s business processes and launching the new public company with the largest industrial IPO to date. As an executive, he oversaw all financial functions as well as information technology, investor relations, public and government affairs, and quality assurance.
A former controller for the Atlantic Richfield Company/ARCO, Young was the chief negotiator for $17 billion in financing projects, including international joint ventures. He has served on numerous corporate and foundation boards.
He received his bachelor’s in economics from Cal Lutheran in 1971, followed by an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
He attributes much of his success to working within a culture of encouragement.
Danielle R. Everson '07
Partner, Clark*Everson LLP
Casey Preston ’03
CEO and founder, Stratosphere Marketing Solutions Inc.
Thembi Moyo ‘00
Senior Manager of Finance, Amgen
Born in Zimbabwe, Thembi migrated to the United States in 1997 for the purpose of pursuing her higher education. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science in accounting from California Lutheran University in 2000 and worked at Ernst & Young LLP in the Assurance and Advisory group from 2000 through 2004. During her tenure at Ernst & Young, Thembi also attended the University of Notre Dame – Mendoza College of Business and graduated with a master’s degree in accounting and finance. Thembi has held several roles of increasing responsibility in the accounting and finance area with specific focus on streamlining processes, initiating process improvements. Her specific areas of expertise are in SEC reporting, controllership functions, and financial planning and analysis. She currently is senior manager of Finance at Amgen and sits on the Development Supply Chain Leadership team as the Finance lead.
Outside of her professional career, Thembi enjoys spending time with her family and friends and plays an active role in her children’s school and athletic activities. Thembi and her family live in Newbury Park.
- Adam Cavallero, M.D., Internal Medicine, UCLA Health
- Danielle Everson '07, Partner, Clark*Everson LLP
- Jim Friedl, General Manager, Conejo Recreation and Park District
- Michael Goldfader, Executive Director, UBS Financial Services
- Tim Hagel, Commander, Ventura County Sheriff's Department
- Jill Lederer, CEO, Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Kim Milstien, CEO, Ventura County Medical Center
- Thembi Moyo '00, Corporate Accountant, Amgen
- Casey Preston, CEO and Founder, Stratosphere Marketing Solutions
- Jennifer Strong, Wealth Advisor, Montecito Bank & Trust
- Timothy Weaver, Senior Adjunct Professor, Bachelor's Degree for Professionals, Cal Lutheran
- Russell Young '71, Former Chief Financial Officer of Lyondell Chemical Company
- Pacific Coast Business Times
- Rotary Club of Thousand Oaks and Rotaract Club of Conejo Valley
- University Village Thousand Oaks
- Bernie and Sue Bauer - Integrated Lighting Concepts
- Clark*Everson LLP
- John A. Short III - UBS Financial Services Inc.
- TOLD Corporation
Reception Beverage Sponsor
Video from the most recent event.
- Photo Gallery