Mathews Leadership Forum
This forum provides an opportunity for the campus community to engage in meaningful dialogue on an important topic with prominent business and community leaders.
Finding Your Path in Turbulent Times
Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020
6-7:30 p.m. - Virtual
Don’t miss this virtual presentation by Sonya Blake, President & Ceo of The Valley Economic Alliance. She will provide candid advice to students on how to find your direction during turbulent times. Following the presentation students will network and exchange virtual business cards with nearly 30 business leaders from a wide variety of professions.
For more information, please click here or contact University Relations at 805-493-3151.
President & CEO, The Valley Economic Alliance
Sonya Kay Blake is the President & CEO of The Valley Economic Alliance based in Sherman Oaks, California. In this capacity, she is a leading catalyst facilitating economic development in the San Fernando Valley, a vital and burgeoning region of the City of Los Angeles comprising 5 cities, 1.9 million residents and 64,000 businesses. The Alliance’s activities include promoting business vitality, efficient mobility, workforce development, affordable housing, and other aspects of establishing and maintaining livable, sustainable, and equitable communities.
Prior to her leadership of the Alliance, Sonya served as Director of Community Business in Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Office of Economic Development, where she played a role in the City’s rollout of an $11 million small business emergency microloan program in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. She also helped Mayor Garcetti to launch entrepreneurship training programs, formulate the economic development package of the city’s community development block grant, and undertake City-wide community revitalization efforts.
Sonya has also served as CEO of the National Association of Women Business Owners – Los Angeles, Director of the Office of the Small Business Advocate in the office of former Governor Gray Davis, Assistant Dean of the USC Roski School of Fine Arts, and Director of Corporate Giving at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Sonya graduated from Yale University and the UCLA Anderson Graduate School of Management. She has lived in Valley Glen since 2003 with her husband, Stephen, and has three school-age children.
- Danielle Borja '03, MBA '07, CEO, Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Janice Brodin, Financial Advisor and Growth & Development Director, Northwestern Mutual
- Alethia Calagias, Community Relations Manager, Logix Federal Credit Union
- Drew Christofferson ’20, Financial Representative, Northwestern Mutual
- Jason Corey, Accountant, Jacobs & Jacobs
- Barry Fisher, MPPA '07, Deputy City Manager, City of Ventura
- Jake Gilliam '17, Senior Associate, Trusts & Mass Torts Group, Ankura Consulting Group
- Debbie Holler, Director of Performance Excellence, Amgen
- Jonathan Johnson, Owner & CEO, Streamline Results
- Aaron Kitzman, Non Profit Consultant
- Ken Malouf, President and Owner, Game Time Strategies
- Tracy Mateko, Regional Vice President, Logix Federal Credit Union
- Tracy Noonan, City Attorney, City of Thousand Oaks
Michelle Reneteria '10, Senior Independent Cost Analyst, Lockheed Martin
Ryan Sullivan, Branch Manager, Logix Federal Credit Union
Beth (Dooley, MPPA '15) Ward, Records and Property Management, Oxnard Police Department