Student Life Waiver and Release Agreement
For the following Event Name: New Student Orientation on Date(s): 8/24/2018-8/28/2018
I am a student at California Lutheran University and have agreed to participate in the University’s “New Student Orientation”, hereinafter referred to as “Activity” sponsored by Student Life. In consideration for being permitted to participate in this program, I hereby agree and represent that:
- I, for myself, my heirs, personal representatives or assigns, do hereby release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue The Regents of California Lutheran University, its officers, employees, and agents from liability from any and all claims resulting in personal injury, accidents or illnesses (including death), and property loss arising from, but not limited to, participation in Activity.
- I acknowledge that Participation in Activity carries with it the assumption of certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. The specific risks vary from one activity to another, but the risks range from 1) minor injuries such as scratches, bruises, and sprains to 2) major injuries such as eye injury or loss of sight, joint or back injuries, heart attacks, and concussions to 3) catastrophic injuries including paralysis and death.
- I also agree to INDEMNIFY AND HOLD The Regents of California Lutheran University HARMLESS from any and all claims, actions, suits, procedures, costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees brought as a result of my involvement in Activity and to reimburse them for any such expenses incurred.
- I have or will secure health insurance to provide adequate coverage for any injuries or illnesses that I may sustain or experience while participating in this program. By signing this I acknowledge that my CLU Supplemental Insurance only provides a max benefit of $25,000. By my signature below I certify that I have confirmed that my health care coverage will adequately cover injuries sustained as a result of my participation in this program, and I hereby release the University and the employees and agents from any responsibility or liability for expenses incurred by me for injuries or illnesses (including death) that I may incur because of those injuries or illnesses.
- I further agree:
- To file with the Associate Director of Student Life information on myself, including important names, addresses and phone numbers along with information about any specific physical conditions, medications, etc. as it might interface with this physical activity.
- That it is my obligation to be physically fit and specifically conditioned for this particular activity before my participation in it.
- That it is my obligation to obtain the proper training before participating in this program.
- That it is my obligation to obtain a medical physical examination and a physician’s clearance before participating in this Activity.
- That it is my obligation to have any injuries I may suffer treated in a prompt manner.
- That it is my obligation to report any injury to CLU Security or the Student Life Staff in a prompt manner.
- That it is my obligation to reflect positively on the University by avoiding inappropriate behavior before, during and after this program.
- That it is my obligation to be proactive in all situations to ensure a healthy and safe environment for my participation.
- I understand that, although the University has made every reasonable effort to assure my safety while participating in this Activity, that there are unavoidable risks in outdoor recreation. I hereby release and promise not to sue the University or its employees or agents for any damages or injuries (including death) caused by, transportation to and from site, deriving from, or associated with my participation in this program, including all travel related to the trip, except for such damages or injury as may be caused by the gross negligence or willful misconduct of the employees or agents of the University.
- I, the undersigned, further expressly agrees that the foregoing waiver and assumption of risks agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California and that if any portion thereof is held invalid or found to be unenforceable, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
- I represent that my agreement to the provisions herein is wholly voluntary, and further understand that, prior to signing this agreement; I have the right to consult with the adviser, counselor, or attorney of my choice.
- I agree that, should there be any dispute concerning my participation in this program that would require the adjudication of a court of law, such adjudication will occur in the courts of, and be determined by the laws of, the County of Ventura, and the State of California.
- This agreement represents my complete understanding with the University concerning the University’s responsibility and liability for my participation in this Activity, supersedes and previous or contemporaneous understandings I may have had with the University on this subject, whether written or oral, and cannot be changed or amended in any way without my written concurrence.
- I represent that I am at least 18 years of age or, if not, that I have secured below the signature of my parent or guardian as well as my own.