We get asked a lot of questions before Orientation starts. Below are some of those that are frequently asked by new students.
- Is New Student Orientation required?
- Will I receive my residence hall assignment before I get to Orientation?
- Where can I find an on-campus job?
- How and when do I get my books for class?
- How do I get involved on campus?
- When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address?
- Is there an ATM on campus?
- What banks are close to campus?
- When is Orientation?
- What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
- How do I schedule my classes?
- Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
- How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
- Is there a cost for Orientation?
- What will we do during Orientation?
- How much is parking?
- I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
1. Is New Student Orientation required?
Yes. It is mandatory for all students to experience New Student Orientation so that you can become better acclimated to the campus. If for any reason you will not be able to experience the virtual Orientation, you must contact the Student Life Office at (805) 493-3197.
2. If I requested to live on campus, will I receive my residence hall assignment and the name of my roommate(s) before I get to Orientation?
Yes. Residence Life completes the residence hall room/roommate assignment process in July. You will receive your assignment, the names of your roommates, and their contact information on the MyCLU portal. You can access this information by going to www.callutheran.edu/myclu. Once you log in, housing information is posted on the home page. If you have any questions regarding your housing assignment, contact Residence Life at Office at (805) 493-3220. We recommend that you contact your roommates before you arrive to introduce yourself and to talk about who is bringing what.
3. Where can I find an on-campus job?
You can go directly to the Student Employment website for on-campus jobs. You may apply to these jobs over the summer before school starts or throughout the school year. Do not forget to bring your Social Security Card (original) with you to campus. You will need this to process your paper work to get a job.
4. How and when do I get my books for class?
You can look up the books required for your classes on the campus store website and purchase them online. For many of the books, you will have the option to buy them new or used, or rent the textbooks to return at the end of the semester. Due to the current Covid-19 precautions, the bookstoore is closed except by appointment for curbside services. You can schedule an appointment by calling the bookstore at (805) 493-3272. Alternatively, you can order your textbooks online and have them shipped to you.
5. How do I get involved on campus and sign up for clubs and other involvement opportunities?
Our Virtual Involvement Fair will take place during Welcome Week, which will be the first week of classes, on September 1st. Club Officers will be present to tell you about how to join their organizations. To gain access to the Virtual Involvement Fair, follow Student Life on Instagram (@clustudentlife). In addition, you can get information about all the clubs and organizations by going to the directory on the website. For other ways to get involved, check Student Life's website Getting Involved or the HUB.
6. When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address? What if I want to mail items to campus prior to my arrival?
Please visit the Mail Center (located near Starbucks) to request a box number. Your address on campus will be:
101 Memorial Parkway
Campus Box #______
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
7. Is there an ATM on campus?
Yes, there are ATM locations at the Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center and at Starbucks.
8. What banks are close to campus?
Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America, U.S. Bank. We suggest you Google Search to find all the different banks and their locations.
9. When is Orientation?
This year we will be offering a virtual Orientation experience. The virtual Orientation will launch on August 3rd, and we will be updating our websites on a regular basis. We look forward to helping you start your Cal Lutheran journey!
10. What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
Thousand Oaks has a variety of shopping options from Target to Wal-Mart to Best Buy. There are many shopping areas that are close to Cal Lutheran.
11. How do I schedule my classes?
New student schedules are processed by Academic Services, and classes are pre-selected for new students. Students will receive their Fall Semester schedules through MyCLU e-mail. All classes are chosen to fit a Core 21 or Major requirement (major indicated on application is used).
12. Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
Students will be able to change their schedule after completing online modules provided by Academic Services.
13. How long can my family members stay during Orientation?
Unfortunately, there will not be a parent and family Orientation this year.
14. Is there a cost for Orientation?
No! All of Orientation is free to new students.
15. What will we do during Orientation?
This year we will be offering our New Student Orientation to all incoming new students in a virtual space! While we would have preferred to welcome you in person, we are grateful to have the opportunity to do so virtually. This virtual orientation will provide information about campus resources, ways to get involved on campus when we are back, and campus policies through interacting with videos, quizzes, and modules. Our team will be updating this page regularly with any new updates concerning New Student Orientation.
16. How much is parking?
Parking is free for all students on campus. All students with cars will have to get a parking permit from Campus Safety. Students will get a parking sticker (either an R for Resident student or a C for Commuter student) to put on the back of their car and park where the permits are allowed. Be sure to register your car online to sign up for a parking permit. During Orientation move in, there is a grace period to allow students to obtain their parking permit. Campus Safety will not be ticketing vehicles without a parking pass during Orientation days.
17. I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
Yes! Orientation is required for all new students. Orientation is all about getting acquainted with the Cal Lutheran community, and commuter students are an important part of the community. Orientation will give opportunities for commuter students to learn about activities on-campus, such as Commuter Appreciation Day, and the numerous resources available to help you succeeed at Cal Lutheran.