We get asked a lot of questions before Orientation starts. Below are some of those that are frequently asked by new students.
- Is New Student Orientation required?
- Will I receive my residence hall assignment before I get to Orientation?
- Where can I find an on-campus job?
- How and when do I get my books for class?
- How do I get involved on campus?
- When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address?
- Who does the school bank with?
- Is there an ATM on campus?
- What banks are close to campus?
- What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
- When is Orientation?
- What happens when I arrive?
- What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
- What if I am already living on campus?
- How do I schedule my classes?
- Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
- How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
- Is there a cost for Orientation?
- What will we do during Orientation?
- How much is parking?
- I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
- What happens if I were to arrive late?
- How do I get my ID card?
1. Is New Student Orientation required?
Yes. It is mandatory for all students to attend New Student Orientation so that you can become better acclimated to the campus. You need to register for the event at www.callutheran.edu/orientation. If for any reason you will not be able to attend part of Orientation, you must contact the Student Life Office at (805) 493-3197 prior to August 4, 2017.
2. If I requested to live on campus, will I receive my residence hall assignment and the name of my roommate(s) before I get to Orientation?
Yes. Residence Life completes the residence hall room/roommate assignment process in early July. You will receive your assignment, the names of your roommates, and their contact information mid July on the portal. You can access this information by going to www.callutheran.edu/myclu. Once you log in, housing information is posted on the home page. If you have any questions regarding your housing assignment, contact Residence Life at Office at (805) 493-3220. We recommend that you contact your roommates before you arrive to introduce yourself and to talk about who is bringing what.
3. Where can I find an on-campus job?
You can go directly to the Student Employment website for on campus jobs. You may apply to these jobs over the summer before school starts or throughout the school year. Do not forget to bring your Social Security Card (original) with you to campus. You will need this to process your paper work to get a job.
4. How and when do I get my books for class?
During Orientation the bookstore will be open so that you can purchase your books. You can look up the books required for your classes on the campus store website and purchase them online. For many of the books, you will have the option to buy them new or used, or rent the textbooks to return at the end of the semester. If you order your books online before Orientation, the bookstore will pull your books at the time of purchase and have them ready for you when you get to campus. All you have to do is pick them up.
5. How do I get involved on campus and sign up for clubs and other involvement opportunities?
Our Involvement Fair will take place during the second week in September along Regals Way in the center of campus. Club Officers will be present to tell you about how to join their organizations. In addition, you can get information about all the clubs and organizations by going to the directory on the website. For other ways to get involved, check Student Life's website Getting Involved or the HUB.
6. When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address? What if I want to mail items to campus prior to my arrival?
Most students will receive their mailbox numbers and combinations in their check-in packet during Orientation. In the meantime, your address on campus will be:
101 Memorial Parkway
Campus Box #______
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
7. Who does the school bank with?
8. Is there an ATM on campus?
Yes, there are ATM locations at the Campus Store and at Starbucks.
9. What banks are close to campus?
Wells Fargo, Chase, Bank of America, U.S. Bank. We suggest you Google Search to find all the different banks and their locations.
10. What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
Check the Important Dates (these include dates in which to expect items from Cal Lutheran) and if you have not received something by within one week of that date please contact us at (805) 493-3197 or email email@example.com.
11. When is Orientation?
Here are the most important details: Orientation takes place August 26- August 29, 2017. On Saturday, August 26, 2017 Residential students can check-in at 8:00 am and Commuter students at 10:00 am. The remaining days of Orientation will be jam packed with fun activities before classes start on August 30, 2017. Schedules will be give out at check-in.
12. What happens when I arrive?
You will check-in at the check-in table in Kingsmen Park to receive information about Orientation and various offices. The President's Welcome will begin at 3:30pm in the Gilbert Arena on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
13. What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
Thousand Oaks has a variety of shopping options from Target to Wal-Mart, to Best Buy really close to Cal Lutheran. Check out this map with various shopping locations, just in case you forget that surge protector.
14. What if I am already living on campus?
Students who have moved on campus (such as fall athletes) before August 26, 2017 will still need to check-in at the Orientation check-in table on Saturday, August 26, 2017 in Kingsmen Park to check into school and pick-up your Orientation packet, schedule, and name tag.
15. How do I schedule my classes?
New student schedules are processed by Academic Services, and classes are pre-selected for new students. Students will receive their Fall Semester schedules through MyCLU e-mail. All classes are chosen to fit a Core 21 or Major requirement (major indicated on application is used).
16. Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
If you are unhappy with your pre-selected classes, there will be a chance during Orientation to meet with your faculty advisor about your class schedule. However, please keep in mind that all pre-selected classes tie to a Core 21 or Major requirement. Spaces are limited in classes, and schedule changes will only be made if there is room available.
17. How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
Parents are welcome to stay throughout the day until the President's Brunch and Family Send-Off on Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 10:30am-12:00pm. Refreshments will be available. All programming thereafter will be geared to students only. We promise to take excellent care of new students and help them have a blast!
18. Is there a cost for Orientation?
No! All of Orientation is free to new students. Check-in day activities and lunch are free to new students and their families, and activities and meals throughout Orientation will be free to all new students.
19. What will we do during Orientation?
Orientation is four days of fun and excitement! During those four days, new students will become acquainted with other new students. You will also meet with your Peer Advisor and Faculty and Administrative mentors and get acquainted with your Peer Group. If you are a first-year student, you will learn about the Freshmen Seminar program, a semester-long class to help first year students' transition into Cal Lutheran. All new first year students will participate in a community service project and all students are welcome to the Orientation favorite, the Playfair icebreaker activity. You will also have the opportunity to attend workshops, visit the campus bookstore, and get information about clubs and other activities to get involved in on campus.
20. How much is parking?
Parking is free for all students on campus. All students with cars will have to get a parking permit from Campus Safety. Students will get a parking sticker (either an R for Resident student or a C for Commuter student) to put on the back of their car and park where the permits are allowed. Be sure to register your car online to sign up for a parking pass. During Orientation move in, campus safety will not be ticketing vehicles without a permit as a grace period to allow students to pick up their parking stickers from the campus safety office.
21. I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
Yes! Orientation is required for all new students. Orientation is all about getting acquainted with the Cal Lutheran community, and commuter students make up half of that community. Orientation will allow all students time to meet faculty, staff, and other new students. Orientation will give opportunities for commuter students to learn about activities on-campus, such as the Commuter Lunches, and establish relationships with other commuters. These relationships will become a valuable part of your experience at the University.
22. What happens if I were to arrive late?
If you are to arrive late on either day (Saturday or Sunday) please locate the information tent. The information tent will be located in front of the flag pole on memorial and you will be able to check-in and pick up your orientation packet.
Students have several options for obtaining their ID card. One option is to visit the Campus Safety Office in person during the summer on any weekday Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm. Alternatively, students can upload a photo to be included on their ID cards. Students that upload their pictures over the summer will be issued ID cards when they arrive for orientation. If you forget to upload a picture before orientation starts, you will be able to have your picture taken at Cal Lutheran during orientation.