Mask Policy Clarity (and One Adjustment)
Cal Lutheran Community,
This update is intended to provide clarity and an adjustment to the current Cal Lutheran mask policy. As many are aware, recent changes in CDC guidance have led to some confusion regarding our campus mask requirements.
Overall, please know that the State of California guidance for higher education and Cal-OSHA have both elected to keep existing mask requirements in place until June 15, and Cal Lutheran is required to follow that guidance. Below are additional details:
- State of California guidance requiring masking while indoors has not changed – All Cal Lutheran staff, faculty, and students must wear masks when indoors unless they are an employee in a private and enclosed space or they are in an active process of eating or drinking. Employees that have their masks removed for eating or drinking must be physically distanced from other employees.
- There is currently no provision for unmasking indoors because of vaccination status – As discussed above, students and employees either vaccinated or unvaccinated who are indoors will need to follow existing State mask guidance until at least June 15 when State guidance may be changed.
- Starting on Monday, May 24, Cal Lutheran will no longer require outdoor masking – To bring Cal Lutheran policy in line with State policy, Cal Lutheran will no longer require outdoor masking on university campuses. Individuals MUST wear masks, however, in situations in which physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Mask removal to eat or drink in classrooms remains prohibited – All individuals in classrooms are asked to step outside to either eat or drink.
- Individuals may elect to continue to wear masks outdoors – Some individuals may wish to continue to wear masks outdoors for a variety of reasons or may be uncomfortable with removing their masks. The campus community is asked to respect those individual’s views in order to maintain our inclusive community.
Finally, and as mentioned above, new guidance regarding masking and many other COVID protocols is expected within the next month, and please know that additional changes will be forthcoming. Current protocol is guided by the following documents:
- CDC Guidance Regarding Mask Wearing (pre-vaccination)
- California Industry Guidance for Higher Education
- Los Angeles County Industry Guidance for Higher Education
- Cal-OSHA Guidance Regarding Mask Wearing
Please contact me regarding any questions.
Ryan Van Ommeren
Associate VP, Operations and Planning
Director, Emergency Operations Center
- Mask and Physical Distancing Changes Effective Monday, June 21
Fri June 18, 2021
This update is to modify current Cal Lutheran mask and physical distancing requirements and is in response to ongoing State and Cal-OSHA changes regarding mask and physical distancing requirements.
- COVID Vaccination Requirement - Process Update for Students
Wed June 16, 2021
This email is a follow-up to last week’s message regarding the Cal Lutheran COVID vaccination requirement deadlines, details regarding exemption forms, and how to submit documentation.
- COVID Vaccination Requirement Update for Students
Mon June 7, 2021
While we are still finalizing some of the details, we wanted to provide you an update about some deadlines for the vaccination.
- Mask Policy Clarity (and One Adjustment)
Fri May 21, 2021
This update is intended to provide clarity and an adjustment to the current Cal Lutheran mask policy.
- COVID Vaccination Requirement Beginning Fall 2021
Mon May 17, 2021
Cal Lutheran will be requiring all faculty, staff, new and returning students who are living, learning, working on, and accessing campuses for the 2021-22 academic year to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Information for Students Who Will Be Attending Summer Classes
Thu May 13, 2021
Beginning in late May, Cal Lutheran will start offering summer classes on our main campus and at our Woodland Hills and Oxnard campus. The following outlines protocols for in-person class attendance.
- Services and Facilities Available in Thousand Oaks and Oxnard
Wed May 12, 2021
Find operating hours and information on how to access services on campus.
- Vaccine Eligibility in California (and Mobile Testing Trailer at Thousand Oaks Campus on April 19)
Thu April 15, 2021
California has opened COVID vaccine eligibility to all Californians 16 and up starting today, April 15, 2021. Cal Lutheran has been and continues to be a strong advocate of inoculating the campus community.
- Changes at Cal Lutheran as Counties Move to "Orange Tier"
Thu April 8, 2021
As was the case when Ventura County transitioned from the Purple to Red Tier, this transition relaxes some of the Covid-related guidelines for meetings, events, and building occupancies.
- Changes at Cal Lutheran as County Moves to "Red Tier"
Thu March 18, 2021
Yesterday, the County of Ventura moved to the State’s Red Tier. The move from Purple to Red was due to a combination of declining case counts and the emerging benefits of widespread vaccines.