Liberal Studies in Education
Bachelor of Arts
Discover the degree that makes a difference.
You’ll study a comprehensive curriculum, sharpen your teaching skills and leave ready to lead in the diverse world of education.
Put theory into practice
Our emphasis on experiential, active learning and interdisciplinary coursework prepares future educators to work in elementary learning environments and beyond. You’ll master a range of subjects, study the ways children learn and develop, and apply your knowledge by completing more than 300 hours of field study at neighborhood schools.
Whether it’s through courses like “Career Decisions in Education” or by exploring different areas of the field, we’ll help you discover your passion and provide the tools to succeed in your chosen career path.
Connect with fellow educators
With Cal Lutheran’s small class sizes and the networking opportunities built into this program, you’ll walk away with a community you can lean on and look to for inspiration.
You’ll form ties with fellow students in your major, find close faculty mentors, and be able to participate in the student-run Club Teach. In addition, after serving in classrooms at a partner school or program of your choice, you can graduate with a set of connections in the educational community who know your talents and will be eager to support your career journey.
Fast track your journey to the classroom
Students can save time and money by earning an expedited multiple-subject teaching credential or master’s degree through pathways developed in collaboration with the Graduate School of Education.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts—You earn a traditional four-year degree and transition to the graduate school to complete a teaching credential in only three semesters.
- Path to Credentialing Program—You can begin working toward your teaching credential while an undergrad, finish in one year after graduation, and have the option to pursue a master’s at the end by taking three additional graduate courses.
- Four-year Integrated Major—You pursue a fast-paced integrated path that allows completion of a bachelor’s and teaching credential in just four years.
I most enjoyed having the opportunity to shadow in a multitude of grades as a part of my Liberal Studies in Education major at Cal Lutheran. It helped prepare me for a career in education by exposing me to the unique needs of children at different educational stages. It was an amazing experience because it helped me discover what grade I am most passionate about. I also was able to shadow multiple teachers and learn what teaching style aligned with my own educational values.
Noelle Ferrante '21
Interdisciplinary Educational Studies Major
The most important factor in helping students to discover their purpose is to create a collaborative and engaging learning community where students have many opportunities to explore questions that are meaningful and applicable to their real world experience. In doing so, they focus in on what is most important and ultimately discover their purpose.Maureen Lorimer
Graduates from our program seek careers as teachers and administrators in public, private, and parochial educational institutions.
Our alumni study at:
- California Polytechnic State University
- California State Fullerton
- California State Northridge
- Colorado University, Boulder
- John Hopkins University
- Loyola Marymount University
- Seattle University
- University of Arizona
- University of Hawaii
- University of Rhode Island
- University of California Santa Barbara
Our alumni work for:
- ATI American TESOL Institute
- Conejo Valley Unified School District
- Cornerstone Community Church
- ELCA Division for Global Mission
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District
- Rolling Oaks Child Development Center
- Ventura Unified School District
- Admissions Counselor
- Director of Recreation
- Director of Youth
- Disaster Survivor Assistance Specialist
- ESL Teacher
- Single Subject Teacher
- Math Instructor
- Multiple Subject Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
of Cal Lutheran graduates find a job or enroll in graduate school within nine months
I most enjoyed having the opportunity to shadow in a multitude of grades as a part of my Liberal Arts in Education major at Cal Lutheran. It helped prepare me for a career in education by exposing me to the unique needs of children at different educational stages. It was an amazing experience because it helped me discover what grade I am most passionate about. I also was able to shadow multiple teachers and learn what teaching style aligned with my own educational values.
Stephanie Fallon '18
Interdisciplinary Educational Studies 4+1 Credential Program Major
6th Grade Teacher, Simi Valley Unified School District
Assistant Professor & Director of Interdisciplinary Educational Studies
Professor of Mathematics
Professor of Mathematics
Professor of Psychology
Professor of Education
Professor of Education and Director of Liberal Studies in Education
Program Director for the Ethnic and Race Studies Program and Associate Professor
Adjunct Faculty, Interdisciplinary Education