Qualifying for an Added Single Subject Credential
If you are eligible for a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential or already hold this credential, and wish to attain eligibility for a Single Subject credential, you will need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Subject-matter competency: Usually this is achieved via passage of the appropriate CSETexams or complete a Commission-approved subject-matter program and obtain verification of completion from the authorized person in the education department of a California college or university with an approved subject matter program.
- Methodology course: Completion of a three-unit course in subject specific methodology directly related to teaching in a departmental setting (EDTP 535 Teaching II: Advanced Planning and Methods for Content Standards/Teaching II: Subject Specific Pedagogical Skills--Secondary)
- Possession of an English learner authorization issued by the Commission authorizing service in English Language Development (ELD) and Specially Designed Academic Instruction delivered in English (SDAIE).
To complete the required course, candidates must do the following in this order:
- Fulfill the subject matter competency requirement (passage of appropriate CSET or completion of appropriate subject matter program).
- Complete a Graduate Application for Admission and submit it to your Admission Counselor in Graduate Admissions to be officially admitted into the Single Subject program as a Special Status student.
- Wait to be notified of approval for enrollment prior to registering for the course.
- NOTE: Graduate School of Education policy requires that you wait until you have completed one program before undertaking course work in another program.
Applying for the Single Subject Added Credential
These added credentials are not recommended by the University. Once the course has been completed and the subject matter requirement fulfilled,
complete instructions for the application process and submission of all verifying
materials are located on the CTC website.
The process may take up to 90 days or more. Download the CTC leaflet Adding a Teaching or Content Area to a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credentials to obtain more detailed information.