The Interlibrary Loan service allows CLU students, faculty, and staff to borrow from other libraries if items are not available at Pearson Library.
When you find a resource in our online catalog that is not available at the Pearson Library, please click the Request Item through Interlibrary Loan link. If there is not a link for ILL, you will need to fill out this form with the item's information.
ILL renewals requests must be placed before the item's due date. Library staff cannot change the due date of your ILL item without approval from the lending library. You will be notified via email if your renewal is approved or denied. If a renewal is approved, the due date will be updated in your library account. All renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library. As ILL items are not owned by Pearson Library, they cannot be renewed through your library account.
Please return ILL items on or before the due date listed on the ILL strap. They can be returned to the Circulation Desk or any of the Pearson Library book drops located at our Thousand Oaks campus.
The waiting period is based on many factors, but we always try to obtain your material as soon as possible. Articles are usually delivered to your Cal Lutheran email within 1-2 working days; books can take about 4-7 working days. Please plan your research needs ahead of time so that you have your material before your deadline.
Normally there is no charge for books. Most articles are sent via e-mail in PDF format for no charge. However, the cost of an interlibrary loan transaction to the library can range from $20 to over $50. Please request only those materials necessary for your research, retrieve items promptly after being notified of their arrival, and return materials on or before the due date. If there are special lending charges, we will contact you.
Before requesting any dissertations via ILL, please check our full-text dissertation database.
- Interlibrary Loan privileges are extended only to current faculty, staff and student patrons. If you do not fit these patron types, please visit your local public library or home institution for your Interlibrary Loan needs.
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
- Renewals can sometimes be accomodated if the renewal is requested before the due date. Renewals requests are granted solely at the lending library's discretion.
- Course materials and textbooks of any kind can not be requested through Interlibrary Loan, as they are hard to borrow and cannot be guaranteed for the entire class. These items are generally lent out with a 3-4 week loan period, and are therefore not a viable alternative for acquiring course materials. Requests for textbooks and course materials submitted through ILL will be cancelled.
- Patrons may only have 10 interlibrary loan books checked out on their account at one time.
- The copyright of the United States (Title 17 US Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the Copyright Law.
- Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of those specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
- Interlibrary Loan privileges may be revoked if items are not returned in a timely manner or if items are damaged.
- If you have any questions please speak with the ILL Department at email@example.com.