For 2017, the Freshman Seminar common theme will focus on the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. In lieu of a traditional text, first year students are expected to view an hour long presentation on the Reformation by Rick Steves, an American author and television personality featured on PBS travel programs.
First year students should watch the video before attending New Student Orientation, as the 500th anniversary of the Reformation will be covered and discussed in the Freshman Seminar component of the First Year Experience. To view the video, please go here:
For questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Seminar Readings
- 2016: Masha Hamilton, 31 Hours; Mark Lynas, Six Degrees
- 2015: Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
- 2014: Morten Lauridsen, Waldron Island Reflections
- 2013: Peter Balakian, Black Dog of Fate
- 2012: Rodes Fishburne, Going to See the Elephant
- 2011: Sonia Nazario, Enrique's Journey
- 2010: Kao Kalia Yang, The Latehomecomer
- 2009: Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
- 2008: Julie Otsuka, When the Emperor was Divine
- 2007: Jonathan Safron Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Past Works by Faculty
- 2016: Play done by Michael Arndt, Under Fire.